Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Milk Fridge?

In times gone by we have traditionally had a milk fridge and a 'normal' fridge, as this was the requirement.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where I might find a reference to this in the requirements? I have looked in the statutory guidance and in what I can find relating to food safety but cannot find anything.

Any suggestions?

is this for baby milk rather than the everyday milk for the children or both?

never seen a reference for need of a second fridge for either...

could this be from food hygiene / environmental heath need rather than part of the statutory requirements?

Inge

I've never seen anything written but I wonder if it might be connected to keeping milk at a specific temperature and food at another - although how does that affect us with milk in the fridge at home?? Only other thought is that when we have some kinds of food in our fridge at work they taint the milk - jelly was a prime suspect last time!

• 4 weeks later...

We have a fridge at my Nursery, I keep the milk in it and sometimes cooking stuff or the fruit (which reminds me it needs cleaning - hmm job for tomorrow morning then!) No-one has said its for anything specific so I just guessed it was ok (although to be fair no-one tells me anything in this new place!!) Anyone know if it has to be at a set temperature or anything?

Yep. The lady on my food hygiene course recommended 3 degrees because the temperature always rises for a while when you've opened the door. She was very clear that it should show below 5 degrees when the door has been shut for a while. She recommended checking first thing in the morning when you know it has been shut all night.

We had winter vomitting virus 2 years ago and the public health officers came in and made recomendations for milk, lunchbooxes and fruit. We used to place milk on a tray for self selection during the morning on a draining board of the child height sink where 'excess' was poured down by the children. Recommended milk placed as far away from a sink as possible. That the milk was only available for a maximium of 1 hour because the room temperature would take it above safety levels.That snack fruit once washed was kept in a plastic box with a lid on the table. That milk was kept in a seperate fridge to a general fridge.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)