Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Is Happening In 2012

Hi

I was just reading a little booklet "Early Years Inspection and Regulation" which is information and guidance for Inspectors of Early Years settings published in 2009.

There is a section about the CWDC online audit tool (though it does say that use of this tool is not mandatory and providers can choose to audit qualifications of their staff using other methods)

It goes on to tell inspectors:

"By checking the qualifications list for those delivering the EYFS, you will be able to check whether qualifications held by staff enable them to be included in the ratio of qualified staff until July 2012. It will also show whether qualifications held by staff will continue to meet the qualifications criteria after July 2012 or whether staff require additional mandatory training"

I have hunted high and low on the CWDC site and cannot find any changes due to come into play in 2012.

I know the aim is to have an EYP in all children's centres by 2010 and in all full daycare settings by 2015 but does anyone know the significance of 2012 or changes that are due to come into force???

I have heard rumours of all staff needing to be level 3 but can't find it written anywhere and don't know that the rumours were specifically related to 2012

Am I missing something that is staring me in the face :o

yours 'confused from suffolk' xD

Edited by Geraldine

I am now oficially " confused" also!!

a second thing, has anyone tried to find the old education certificate on the cdwc mapping? I can't find a suitable qualificaion for a member of staff who we have always counted as QTS but has a cert ed. Does this mean i can no longer count her as a qualified member of staff???? Surely not!!

AH! I have just found this:

By September 2012, all staff in your setting, in the ratio specified in the Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage should have a ‘full and relevant qualification’ (as defined by CWDC) or have

completed the appropriate training and assessment pathway.

Before 1980 Cert Ed was the qualification that many teachers had, mostly Primary, which confers QTS. Long ago there were Teacher Training Colleges, which was the accepted route into teaching and these conferred Cert. Ed. Your member of staff therefore has QTS. I know that someone with this qualification can go for EYPS if they so wish, as it counts as a degree level qualification. There are still many older teachers in schools with Cert. Ed.

Ah found this on CWDC

"Both EYPS and QTS therefore fall outside the Level 3 mapping process for the new qualifications list and are automatically considered to be full and relevant Level 3 qualifications for the purposes of the EYFS."

CWDC told me that my staff member who has a cert ed from the early 1970's is no longer classed as having a relevant qualification as it was not specific to early years. However, if she were to continue with professional development and update it she would be classed as qualified.

I think this makes it clearer.

•Certificate of Education and Bachelor of Education and PGCE and QTS

The teaching qualifications listed above are appropriate to be counted in the qualified staff ratio at level 6 if gained in the Foundation Stage or Key Stage One.

This page summarises it all.

https://secure.cwdcouncil.org.uk/eypqd/qualification-search

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)