Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observations - Factors Affecting Validity

Hi guys,

Need help!! I've done my observations for the assignment, written up my profile, answered the required questions but when it comes to filling in the information describing the observation technique etc, I am stuck on answering which factors may have affected validity!

My first observation is narrative and on physical skills (ie fine motor, hand dominance etc) and I have answered that the validity factors could include my own influence (if the child was aware she was being watched) and the fact that it is difficult to include everything in this type of obs. (unless anyone has any better ideas.)

My second observation is a target child focusing on social interactions. So far all i can think of for validity factors is whether or not this was the best method to use, though a) my tutor recommended this method and :o I don't know if I really want to focus on me making a bad choice (though I will go with this if I can't find anything else!) I was quite descriptive of the activities laid out so can't pick too much fault there.

Any ideas???????????????????????????????

Kelly x

If these were just one off observations that you are writing about that could be a factor affecting validity. Might not have been the child's typical behaviour due to any one of a number of other influences (tiredness, hard time at home, feeling under the weather, just having an off day or just having a really 'switched on' day!)

I used to start my obs with a brief about the session. Which adults were present, children presnt,the weather, time of day, the day. Anything could affect how the child acts on a certain day. Were you watching an adult led or child initiated activity? Was the child interested in the activity or was it something they wouldnt normally take part in?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)