Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Obs/assess To Meet Eyfs Requirements

happy4

Hello and Happy New Year to you all

I am new here. I would like to ask a question please. I am studying a BA and need to find out if children centres have a policy/ procdure to follow for observation and assessment to meet the EYFS requirements. This is to include transition into stat education. It is only to cover the childcare/nursery aspect. Can anyone help me please?

Many many thanks

p.s. never posted before so hope this goes on ok!!!

Hi Happy4. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making your first post.

I don't work in Children's Centres myself but I know there's lots on the forum that do. I'm sure that later in the day someone will be able to answer your question.

Good to have you on board. :o

Hello Happy4 and welcome to the Forum.

Our CC works in the same way as any other setting in terms of planning and recording children's achievements and next steps. Each child has a learning journey which starts when they join us, which can be from being a baby. There are long observations, post its for Look, Listen and Note and also records of their focus activities, including their response and next steps. The children's progress is mapped each half term against Progress Matters, and data collated for analysis according to gender, ethnicity, looked after children, SEN, attendance etc. When the children are going to school parents receive a detailed report and the LA have transition documents. On these there is a summary of the children's achievements against Progress Matters. SEN children will have copies of their action plans sent to school as well. The record is sent to the school with a copy of the report. The Learning Journeys are given directly to the parents, so the school may not see those unless they ask the parent.

As part of transition children visit their new school and in many cases their class teacher will also visit them in the CC, and talk to their key-person. Where a child is identified as SEN there is a transition meeting with the Ed Psychologist and/or support teacher, the school's SENCO, class teacher and the CC SENCO, the child' key person and the parents or Carers.

Hello

Thank you both for replying so quickly. This is very helpful and will help me immensely. Do you actually have a written policy/procedure for staff members to follow or do they learn to do this from training. The data that you collate for gender, ethnicity etc is that for the LA?

Thanks very much for your help. I am a childminder so the observing and planning etc is on a much smaller scale.

Thanks

There is a written assessment policy but it outlines the systems and does not go into tiny detail. The way that observations and assessments are carried out and recorded is something discussed with all staff, and is an ongoing area for development led by the lead teacher. Weekly planning meetings will include the discussion of observations and these will be used to assist planning. There is also training for this as part of CPD when necessary.

The analysis of progress for different groups is firstly and foremost for the Centre itself to identify strengths and areas which need developing. This would feed into the Centre's Development Plan. For example where boys writing has been identified as an area needing development the staff have received extra training, and ways to tackle this and motivate boys have been planned into the curriculum. Monitoring the children's progress should show whether the strategies introduced are effective. It is a continuous cycle of improvement. The Centre then has the evidence to show the LA, and also OFSTED, to demonstrate how effective they are and that they have evidence to support their ability to evaluate the Centre's practice. The LA will also collate the data from each setting to measure their own effectiveness, and to identify where they need to provide support to improve outcomes for children. All this goes on in schools as well, as the children are tracked through the education system. Each LA will submit their data to the Government and so it goes on.

Hi and thanks again for the information. I know this may sound cheeky but is there any chance that I can have a copy of the policy - even an outline policy as such is a basis for me to start on - especially as yours sound very detailed and organised. I can pass you my email to send it to. I am at a bit of a loss and trying to get info locally has been a bit sketchy and I have spoken to schools and nursery - and the local childrens centre is much smaller and does not have a nursery at it.

Many thanks for your help

student in dire need!!!

Hello again. I only have a hard copy of the policy at home as a Governor at the Centre, but if you go on to Google you will find quite a few Children's Centres that have their assessment policies online. Assessment may be in with Teaching and Learning policies or something along those lines. It will probably be more useful to look at a few if you are doing an essay.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...icy&spell=1

Many thanks again

I am impressed with how helpful you have been. Really appreciated. I have been in touch with the local CC but it is very small and do not have a nursery. I have also spoken to some private nurseries and I think I actually do more as a childminder than they do.

I will have a look at those link you posted - many thanks

K x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)