Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A Little Advice Please

I work part-time as a nursery teacher in a nursery attached to a primary school. The space I have is lovely BUT very open plan. This means I am on show for the whole of the period - I don't mind this because I'm not doing anything I shouldn't but I am constantly under the watchful eye of the Headteacher. She has in the past told me that there is far too much talk going-on with my nursery nurse before sessions start - when I've tried to explain, she says "I don't want to know, stop the chatter." Anyway yesterday she called me in to discuss some matters and again mentioned about talking with my nursery nurse - I got the chance to explain that we talk about the children, she will ask for my advice and vice versa - we also talk about a particular activity and other things usually ALL nursery related. I told her that my n.n. had now started making notes because of the number of looks we had, she said, thats probably better! I feel so frustrated. I came to teaching very late in my career and have only just completed my NQT year, this is my first proper teaching job. I have worked as a manager in a previous life and would never behave like her (it takes all sorts to make the world go around). Do I bite my tongue and say nothing? The morale in the school is very low - she treats everybody the same - and I feel I should say something to her. I know I would be on my own and that my life would be hell afterwards but ... Incidently, because I only work p/t, the session finishes at 11.30 (when my paid time ends although I seldom leave before one O'clock) my n.n. then has other duties to rush off to - during the session is the only time we have to talk. What should I do?

Hi there - I love your username! xD

What an awful situation to be in... :(

Could you suggest that the Headteacher comes in occassionally and participates in the discussions so that she can become familiar with the varied and unique requirements of the EYFS - you can't possible plan for children's interests meet all their needs without discussing what they are :o

I work in a pre-school (independent but attached to the school) and work closely with the Reception class - however the head teacher openly admits she knows nothing about Early Years teaching so has to be led by the staff who DO know what they need to do!! :(

Sorry I can't be much more help - but just keep on in there! hope things improve... :(

Hi that does not seemm like a nice environment to work in. You are right to be concerned aabout speaking out. It must be so difficult to have been a mannager and then be treated in this way. I havee not got any huge pearls of wisdom for you but I am sure some else will have had similar experience and be able to make some suggestions. The only thing I could think of is that you ask her to drop in at during your briefing sessions with your nursery nurse as she may be able to help advise you on topics/ children's needs as you are still fairly new to the school. Good luck and let us know how you are getting on.

I think talking together is a good thing - whatever the subject matter really. It would be a horrible environment if you didn't have a good friendly relationship with your nn and couldn't talk together before the session (even about the mundane things). 'Positive relationships' should be encouraged!

What a dreadful situation for you to be in.

I suggest you play her at her own game and formalise this time so make yourself a timetable - you could call it direcdted time as all teachers can be directed for 1265 hours - and you have on this timetable dicsussion for the day on focussed children / planning and observations. Go to the HT and explain how important this is as in the EYFS you are expected to build on children's interests and this structured time in the morning is a good time to do this as your nn has to go off to other duties at the end of the monring which would be another opportunity. As others have said invite you HT to attend one of these meetings say once a week to update her on the work in the nursery. Make this a formal invite and document your ideas, she may like the formallity and you can also mention to her that this could be added to the SEF and will of course be looked upon favourably by Ofsted.

Not how I would run a school but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire!

Good luck having your chats is excellent and what in our LA we always recommend for all EYFS practitioners!!!!!

Thank you for replies so far - I was beginning to think I was in the wrong! I do think 'communication' is the key to good working relationships which is why we 'chat' like we do unfortunately, its a one-way communication with the head. I will take the advice offered and try to encourage my head to listen in! Talking on this forum helped me sort things out in my head - Thanks.

I think you should be contacting your union, this sounds like bulliny to me and you need to put this on record in case your situation worsens. they would also be able to advise you in how to proceed. I find it difficult to believe that someone can tell you to stop talking. I would also keep a close eye on the vacancy lists and move on asap.

Good luck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)