Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Procedure If A Staff Member Smacks A Child

Not specifically oldtimer. There's a mention in our child protection and behaviour policies about adult behaviour, whats not allowed but thats it I'm afraid. Although I would imagine the basic procedure would be the same for everyone wouldnt it? Phone ofsted, ACPC, send staff member home. :D

Like Rea we don't have a specific policy for if a staff member smacks a child but do have a behaviour policy, child protection and disciplinary procedures.

Linda

It says in our info to parents that no form of physical punishment takes place in our setting. As for what if - well i would expect them to be sent home and not to come back. When i did my original NNEB training it was a residential course and students were told if they ever smacked a child they would be expelled immediately. Following the NNEB we did further training to gain the college's own certificate. Even now all these years on, if I smacked a child and the college knew I would have my college award taken away (can't think of the right word, rescinded maybe!!)

I imgine the procedures are laid down as a matter of fact somewhere, so why dont Ofsted just send them out to us and tell us what we should do instead of us having to write what we'd do and tie ourselves up in knots over the wording. Surestart did it with the procedures to follow with a child protection concern, and then everyone would be following the same plan and we'd all know where we stood. :o

Surely this isn't something we need a seperate policy for? xD I would imagine that the disciplinary procedure should be followed as well as your normal child protection procedures. If you start going down this route then you really would end up with a policy for every single eventuality which would be ridiculous. I already think we have too many - I know that most of my parents take a quick glance at the policies but don't actually read them as it is. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)