Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Area Senco

hi everyone

i am doing a foundation degree year 1 started in sept my next module is to do a speech on the role of the area senco covering all the different areas of their role

can anyone help with any suggestions

thanks

Chief aim of the role is to to enable settings to include and support children (not to 'take over' from the setting). This could be through -

Visits to settings in order to:

talk over with the setting what provision they have already made;

observe the child, discuss setting appropriate SMART targets and how they can realistically meet them;

interpret suggestions made by external agencies;

support the setting / setting SENCo in meeting with parents;

discuss what (if any) external agency may be able to advise and to help the setting to make the referral (and to ensure this is appropriate);

to help the setting to discuss a child's needs with an external agency and to prepare any necessary reports;

to support the setting to complete the appropriate paperwork in order to request a statutory assessment (and this often includes helping them to make sure they have all the appropriate evidence e.g IEPs covering 6 months minimum);

to help the setting to understand the language and format of a proposed statement and to help them discuss this with parents;

to help the setting to put into place the requirements of any statement;

to help the setting to complete the 6 monthly revciew of a statement.

Training:

to lead or plan / organise training for local SENCos / INCos;

to lead cluster groups for SENCos / INCOs;

to help settings and schools to work together to support children especially related to transition;

sometimes to inform Local Authority Advisers for schools and other personell re Early Years and SEN issues;

to prepare materials to help support/train SENCos (eg. an information leaflet of folder.

Also quite often to:

meet with health staff to discuss the needs of children with disabilities often known to them from birth and to support the children's entry to an EY setting.

Some Area Senso also get involved in supporting with the CAF process but this varies greatly across the country

Those are just a few off the top of my head, but I think if I had to prepare a speech about the role I think I might do a 'day in the life of' or a case study, to make it more interesting for the listeners - just a thought.

Good luck

Gruffalo2

hi everyone

i am doing a foundation degree year 1 started in sept my next module is to do a speech on the role of the area senco covering all the different areas of their role

can anyone help with any suggestions

thanks

In this weeks Nursery world there's an interview with an Area Senco.

:oxD hi thank u for the replys there are a great help so glad i found this forum it is a great help dont feel like i am on my own with thinks going round in my head thinking help where to find the answers i have now found a great place

thanks again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)