Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Holiday Pay Query-need Maths Help

Hi

Need your help working this out. I get paid £6.18 per hour and work 29 hour per week (excluding unpaid lunch break).

According to my contract i am "entitled to 5.6 wks paid leave. This means 5.6 times the number of sessions normally worked under terms of contract (29 hr for me). This will be paid in 2 equal installments one 28 July and one 28 dec. Holiday year runs 1 Jan to 31 Dec"

So i started job in Sept and I think I have been paid holiday pay of approx 1 week worth. How do they work this out?

I understand how to calculate term time only holidays using one website already put on here

29 hr x 38 weeks per yr = 1102 hrs per yar

1102/46.4 weeks = 23.75 hrs per week

23.75 x 5.6 weeks = 133 hrs holiday for year

So according to contract this is split in two

133/2 = 66.5 hrs

66.5 hrs x £6.18= £410.97 ( I got paid £169.94)

I this because I have only been there since sept?

I am querying it but waiting reply...anyone else explain?

Thanks!

This will have something to do with only working 4 months..

the formula you have used is for a year ... cannot remember how they did it now, but think we did the easy option of just multiplying 5.6 by the hours worked each week and dividing it by 12 to give a monthly sum due.. which was paid at set times.. they did not worry about pro rata holiday pay as it was so complicated!

so far all the calculators I have found give a different result! wonderful..

Inge

I asked hubby who does our wages and he says he thinks you have been paid a bit less than 8 weeks holiday pay but presumably you worked 14 for the whole term's worth.

This might be something to do with paying it in 2 installments but it would be worth asking why it seems to be less than it should be.

following on from Jane if this is what they have done you should ask for the remainder of holiday pay for this year as their end of year is 31st Dec.. so you should have been paid all your holiday pay to date and not had it split..

Inge

Hi

Thanks for that.

Lady has got back to me and worked out as follows....its pro-rata

average hours worked per week from last 12 weeks = 30.38 hrs

no of weeks worked = 15

av total hours per year = 30.38 x 15 = 455.70 hrs

av total hours per week adjusted = 455.70/46.4= 9.82 hrs

hrs counting towards Dec hoiday entitlement = 9.82 x 2.8 = 27.50 hrs

Dec installment = 27.5 x 6.18 = £169.94

Looks right I suppose!?

Edited by marley

Hi

Would just like to say a big thank you to Jane's husband for helping me out on this one!

If it wasnt for such kind and informed people on this website I woud have come stuck a few times!

x x x

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this.

The wages lady (staff not committee) has said that the calcuation supplied by Jane's husband is correct and that they now owe me some more holiday pay! It seems it may alo have affected othr staffs entitlement also.

Good job I am one of those people who like to check and know how things are worked out eh?

Happy New Year!

The wages lady (staff not committee) has said that the calcuation supplied by Jane's husband is correct and that they now owe me some more holiday pay! It seems it may alo have affected othr staffs entitlement also.

The Forum strikes again - well done Jane's husband! Can you share the correct calculation with us marley? :o

Maz

Hi Maz

Attached is how the lady originally worked it out and then the comments from Janes husband are below on this calculation. Dont forget the pre-school splits holiday pay so that staff get 2.8 weeks at Xmas and then 2.8 weeks at summer. I have been there since Sept. The important thing for me is the check that can be done that is highighted in red. This shows that they were not paying me enough hoiday for the time that I have worked there ie 15 weeks.

"Her calculations are fine up to D, this is where for the full 2009 calendar year she works out your average hours per week. She then multiplys it by 2.8 to give half your yearly allocation. Because she is averaging out your holiday over the full year, then you should get both half allocations, so you need her to give your your July allocation as well, which would be exactly the same amount.

You can check your holiday entitlement is correct, it should be 12.07% of the hours that you have worked.

(http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10034642 says this)

455.7 hours x .1207 = 55 hours, exactly half of what you have been paid for.

Yes, I presume that when your holiday is calculated for next year, the 15 would change to 38 and that would make more sense. Although it would still only give an approximation of the correct holiday pay if your hours change. If you increased your average hours for the 12 weeks before the caulcation then your holiday pay would increase, and if you suddenly reduced your hours, you'd get less holiday pay.

The way we calculate holiday pay is different. I total up the number of hours worked in the full academic year and then find 12.07% of that, and that works as the holiday pay. We then pay that money as 6 weeks pay over the school holidays. This means that our staff are being paid over the summer holiday as well, and there are only a few weeks a year that they don't have any money coming in. (Christmas and Easter holidays)

Hope this helps.

I actually think that the way Janes husband works it out ie actual hours worked is fairer the taking an avrage ovr th last 12 weeks worked. Not sure that my pre-school would go for that way though as they lik th holiday pay at xmas.,

Holiday_entitlement_calculator.xls

Edited by marley