Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Schemas

Hi!

I had to prepare a handout on Schemas for staff and parents. Unfortunately, the manager at my setting was constantly busy, and so my work placement ended before I could get any feedback.

So in lieu of that, could you guys please have a look and tell me what you think?

It's basically a one pager (didn't want to be too long winded) briefly explaining schemas, followed by the tables off the Dorset website (http://212.104.140.176/index.jsp?articleid=357248) which I felt would be useful for practitioners who'd like to incorporate schemas into their planning.

Thanks! :o

Regards

Mark

http://earlychildcare.wordpress.com

Schemas___How_To_Understand_And_Extend_Children_s_Behaviour.pdf

Hi Mark

Well done! Your handout appears clear and informative. I think the photos make it interesting too.

I wonder whether, for parents, some of the terminology might need explaining?

Whilst doing Forest School training I finally got the plot about schemas and drew up a sheet for parents. I send out an accompanying letter at children's settle in explaining very simply how schemas work and ask them to indicate any observed behaviours. The returned sheet is placed in the child's learning journey and added to as other preferences are noticed. If you would like to see a copy, please let me know and I'll forward it to you.

HTH

Lesley

Looks good to me! I agree with what Lesley says about parents - wouldn't want to generalise but the simpler the language the more of them you'll reach. Would love to see your letter to parents, Lesley - sounds like a really good idea!

Mark this will make an excellent addition to your evidence portfolio - and you could still email your placement to find out if they're using it and how effective it has been!

Maz

Thanks Lesley, I'd love to get a copy. xD

I kept it short because I was worried most parents wouldn't bother looking at a block of words more than a page long. Additionally, those that are really interested could have approached me, as I was in the setting 5 days a week from morning till evening. :o

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

Well done! Your handout appears clear and informative. I think the photos make it interesting too.

I wonder whether, for parents, some of the terminology might need explaining?

Whilst doing Forest School training I finally got the plot about schemas and drew up a sheet for parents. I send out an accompanying letter at children's settle in explaining very simply how schemas work and ask them to indicate any observed behaviours. The returned sheet is placed in the child's learning journey and added to as other preferences are noticed. If you would like to see a copy, please let me know and I'll forward it to you.

HTH

Lesley

Thanks Maz, long time no see. :o

I did email the setting, but I didn't get a reply, so I assumed the manager was too busy and/or it slipper her mind.

Ugh, evidence portfolios. I've obsessively filed and typed up a bunch of stuff, but don't really know what to put in, for fear that it just morphs into a huge stack of papers.

Regards

Mark

Looks good to me! I agree with what Lesley says about parents - wouldn't want to generalise but the simpler the language the more of them you'll reach. Would love to see your letter to parents, Lesley - sounds like a really good idea!

Mark this will make an excellent addition to your evidence portfolio - and you could still email your placement to find out if they're using it and how effective it has been!

Maz

Additionally, those that are really interested could have approached me, as I was in the setting 5 days a week from morning till evening.

Just one other thing to add here, on the subject of parents. I learned early on never to underestimate how much courage it might take a parent to approach a practitioner to get them to explain something, especially if they are not confident readers or there are other underlying issues such as low self esteem or depression. I well remember looking at the staff in MrsWeasley's nursery and thinking they had God-like qualities of patience, all-seeing wisdom and knowledge. The gulf between how I perceived their skills and expertise as practitioners and mine as a parent made it very difficult for me to ask them to explain things, let alone justify their approaches.

Back then if someone had handed me a leaflet about schemas I would probably have read it with a level of understanding, but I would probably not have felt brave enough to approach the Supervisor for more information. In fact I remember picking up Cathy Nutbrown's book when I was doing my DPP and feeling far to thick to even begin to read it!

Of course the trick is to keep the language clear and unambiguous for those parents who might need support to understand the content and not patronise those who have a higher level of knowledge and understanding. Excellent example of how to meet Standard 37 - "Develop and use skills in literacy, numeracy and information and communication technology to support their work with children and wider professional activities". :o

Maz

Well, my email address is there for the shy ones. :o

It didn't occur to me that parents would view me as a magical font of knowledge. In fact I usually get the impression that they're amazed I can even speak English (I'm Chinese).

The way people usually "compliment" my English, I feel as though they're going "Wow! You're English is pretty good!" (then quietly in their heads: for a Chinese guy!)

Regards

Mark

Guest jane707

Hi Mark

It's a good piece of work but I wonder if it goes over heads of some parents?

They need to understand what a 'pattern of repeatable behaviour' is... and you've used 'curriculum content' and other buzz words which you and I fully understand...

But I'm not sure about parents if it's aimed at them.

I would say to talk about...

have you seen your child carrying bricks from one place to the other?

Do you wonder why your child gets more enjoyment from the box than the toy inside?

Do you see your child lining up cars and other toys?

Does your child like wrapping dollies and presents?

these are all schemas... all the term 'schemas' means is behaviour that the child repeats as s/he learns.

You can help your child to learn through schemas... etc

Something like that perhaps? :o

Hi Jane!

Thanks for your input! xD Seems to be the consensus that I should make my handout more parent friendly.

Hopefully I can use your suggestions with my handout, maybe in my next setting, as I wouldn't want to burn any more time and effort for more of nothing.

I just saw Vaughantracy's Schema handout, and the words 'pales by comparison' comes to mind for my own handout. :o

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark

It's a good piece of work but I wonder if it goes over heads of some parents?

They need to understand what a 'pattern of repeatable behaviour' is... and you've used 'curriculum content' and other buzz words which you and I fully understand...

But I'm not sure about parents if it's aimed at them.

I would say to talk about...

have you seen your child carrying bricks from one place to the other?

Do you wonder why your child gets more enjoyment from the box than the toy inside?

Do you see your child lining up cars and other toys?

Does your child like wrapping dollies and presents?

these are all schemas... all the term 'schemas' means is behaviour that the child repeats as s/he learns.

You can help your child to learn through schemas... etc

Something like that perhaps? :(

Hi Mark,

Kind words...but do remember that my booklet is aimed at practitioners not directly to parents. I had a different slant as I needed something for baby room, toddler room, school settings, as well as for child minders I have links with.

Have you thought about giving them a quick to fill in questionnaire for feedback, then you can show how you have adapted your handout?

Please feel free to message me if you would like a copy of the questionnaire, it maybe something you look at for an idea/starting point.

Tracy

Hi Tracy!

Thanks, I think you've already given me a copy of your tick list. :(

I've already left the setting, as my first placement has ended, so I wouldn't be giving them much else, especially since they didn't even bother to reply my earlier email. xD

I might try and work the schema handout thingie into my next placement though. :o

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Kind words...but do remember that my booklet is aimed at practitioners not directly to parents. I had a different slant as I needed something for baby room, toddler room, school settings, as well as for child minders I have links with.

Have you thought about giving them a quick to fill in questionnaire for feedback, then you can show how you have adapted your handout?

Please feel free to message me if you would like a copy of the questionnaire, it maybe something you look at for an idea/starting point.

Tracy

Hi Mark,

I hope you don't mind but I had a quick look at your information sheet for my own selfish reasons xD I was really unsure about schemas but keep hearing them talked about more and more. I found the information very informative and helpful so thankyou. I would love to know more about schemas but am in the middle of E115 and just starting U212 so as you can imagine I have very little spare time on my hands :o

Thank you once again

Rapunzel

Hi Rapunzel (real name? :o )

You're very much welcome, I'm always glad to hear that someone's interested in my writing. That they don't think it's a load of waffle is also an added bonus. :(

If you'd like a little more info on schemas, Vaughantracy and lesleypimperne (their names are in this thread, above. You can private message them I think) have also done some handouts on schemas, which are longer and more informative than mine.

I also read up on Schemas from the FSF itself:

Schemas by Juliet Mickelburgh, The Foundation Stage Forum (http://www.foundationstage.

info/newfsf/articles/members/FSFArticle_186.php)

What's E115 and U212? :(

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I hope you don't mind but I had a quick look at your information sheet for my own selfish reasons :( I was really unsure about schemas but keep hearing them talked about more and more. I found the information very informative and helpful so thankyou. I would love to know more about schemas but am in the middle of E115 and just starting U212 so as you can imagine I have very little spare time on my hands xD

Thank you once again

Rapunzel

Hi again,

Thanks for that information xD

E115 and U212 some of the courses that will hopefully make up the foundation degree in Early years. At the moment I'm finding it quite difficult as I am working as a nanny and feeling quite out of the loop, but hopefully I'll get there.

Thanks again Rapunzel a.k.a Carol :o yn

Wow!!! I can't even write my own name right, I have no hope of completing the foundation degree

Well throughout my studies there have been days when I didn't even know what my own name was Carolyn, so you're one up on me.

If you're looking for more in depth (but still readable) information about schemas, you might have a look at Sally Featherstone's book Again! Again! which you can see here on Amazon. Lots of good advice about how to recognise children's schematic learning and how to provide experiences which support different schemas.

Maz

• 3 months later...

Hi lesleypimperne,

I was just searching the forum for posts about schemas. I think including a space for parents to record any observed behaviours is a great idea and especially beneficial for those children who don't attend as often as others! I'm an EYPS student, I've just introduced heuristic play to the baby room with the intention of getting staff to observe for schemas. I wondered if you'd be able to send me a copy of your handout so I can see whether I am on the right track!

Thanks,

Rebecca.

• 2 weeks later...
HI Lesly, I have tried to PM you with regards to your parents info sheet but am told I cannot...

The message you got probably said that Lesley has disabled her personal messenger system, or that she belongs to a group that doesn't allow the PM system to be used.

Hopefully she'll log in soon and see your post and get back to you!

Maz

Hi Maz!

There seems to be some interest in the material from Lesley (and presumably Vaughantracy's as well).

But people don't seem to be able to reach her.

I do have the files, but do you think I should post them here? I'd assume that if Lesley had wanted to post it, she would have.

She was more than willing to send me the file when I messaged her earlier on though.

Regards

Mark

The message you got probably said that Lesley has disabled her personal messenger system, or that she belongs to a group that doesn't allow the PM system to be used.

Hopefully she'll log in soon and see your post and get back to you!

Maz

lesleypimperne is no longer a fully paid up member of the forum which is why you are unable to pm her.

Mark, I'm afraid you can't upload anything that you yourself haven't produced. As you said, if she had wanted to share she would have uploaded them herself. :o

lesleypimperne is no longer a fully paid up member of the forum which is why you are unable to pm her.

That said, I have sent her an email through the Forum, so I'm hoping that will still get through. Steve will know whether it will have done, or not because I don't understand how it all works, I'm afraid.

She's working abroad at the moment isn't she, so it might take some time!

Maz

Ok, just trying maintain the 'helpful spirit' which Lesley showed me. :o

Regards

Mark

Mark, I'm afraid you can't upload anything that you yourself haven't produced. As you said, if she had wanted to share she would have uploaded them herself. xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)