Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Children Attend 2 Settings?

emmajess

As I'm a reception teacher I don't know the answer to this very simple question? Are 3 year olds allowed to attend 2 different nurseries / pre-schools? Can the funding be used for both? And would both settings need to be aware of this? Just wondering as my son goes to a gorgeous nursery school, but the children who are going to be in his class of 15 children in reception almost all go to one particular pre-school. Obviously there would also be advantages in him going there and making friends with children who will later be in his class, but I wouldn't want to move him there altogether as I love his nursery, they were fantastic for my daughter and I feel a commitment to them. Any information would be very useful! Thank you!

Emmax

not always a simple question! :o:

Children are currently entitled to upto 5 sessions per week and can be split between two settings, the claim form has to be completed for each setting - and asks how many sessions are being claimed for and whether the child attends elsewhere.

In Oxfordshire though (don't know if it is the same elsewhere), you are unable to split the claimed sessions between a LEA maintained setting and a PVI setting.

Hope that makes sense!

xD

before you do move him.. think about how it may feel for him...

2 moves in a short space of time,

learning a new set of rules for the second setting, and then another set once starting school,

trying to settle in a setting for a short while is not ideal situation..even for a confident child..

and there is no guarantee he will make friends .. they could all be settled into social groups, and while not excluding may not be easy to make friends in an environment they are all familiar with...

sometimes it is better to wait until they all move into a new environment together..

all that is assuming they have places and are willing to take him for a short period of time..

Inge

You know your child. My first, my son attended 1 preschool completely unconnected to the school and went right into Reception with only 2 others from his preschool. He loved it at his preschool, would not have suited the preschool within the school grounds (where I now work!) and it was completely right for him. He made some really good friends, all from different settings. My daughter attended the same preschool as my son had, and she got on ok there, but it didn't suit her as well, and the staff had changed. Anyway I decided to put her one session a week at the school grounds one, and was very lucky I got a place for her, and she loved it. Had no problem attending 2 settings, in fact it gave her far more confidence. She gradually moved to 2 sessions at one vs 3 at the other and then in the end I did move her altogther to do all 5 sessions there as it suited her much much more. She has started school very much a popular and confident girl, and I am certain it would not have been the same if she had come from only the previous setting.

So yes, in short you can and it does work for some children!

Clare