Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I Know What I Would Like To Do, But Should Calm Down First.

Hello there,

I would like a friendly ear to see what to do. I know what I want to do, but this is a bit emotive.

My 10 year old daughter has been getting severe knee pain in one knee and now both for a couple of months. Docs have been useless and we have paid to see a physio who straightaway saw that her feet role in slightly and so suggested orthotics. Costly, but a generous Aunt has said she'll pay.

The pain is now so bad sporadically that my daughter canot do the things she loves; dancing, trampolining, PE at school. She hobbles around at times a, but not always and this is where the problem lies at school. Friends!!!! A specific girl in her clas has been commenting in a perceived 'nasty' way aout my daughter's knees and saying that there is nothing wrong. Doesn't sound that bad really, but to have this aimed at you 2 - 3 times a day is having a waring effect on my daughter and making her not want togo to school.

I have great faith in her teacher , but have had to go to her over lots of other issues, including 3 episodes of bullying (physical and cyber) over the past year. S is a sensitive soul (very) and this is the last thing she needs.

Do I leave it or talk to the teacher or what???? I do feeel like I'm forever moaning etc, but then I have to live with S in tears etc.

I would like to talk to the children myself, but won't.

Suggestions please. Anything would be useful.

Thank you x

Firstly, I would like to ask if you have been advised that this pain in your daughter's knees could be Osgood-Schlatters Disease? My son had this, it is, I suppose, what we may have termed growing pains many years ago, but it is a condition that exists and you can google it and find some information about it, it affects 10-15 year olds mainly and especially sporty children.

Secondly, I would invite 'nasty' girl home for tea - and find an opportunity to explain just how your daughter feels when she goes on the way she does about your daughter's knees.

Thank you both.

I have just googled and Osgoood Schlatters seems to have a swelling of the knee which S does not have. But it may well be worth investigating .

'Nasty' child home for tea? S won't have that. I'm hoping that it will all blow over after Xmas and we can start afresh next term.

I would consider this to be bullying and as such you have every right to bring this to the school's attention. They should have a bullying policy so ask to see that and take it from there. Your daughter has a right to feel safe in school which she obviously doesnt at the moment, who I would address this with in school would depend on what I felt would happening.

It may be that you actually need to talk to HT rather than CT?

Has this child been involved with any of the previous issues?

Is this child within your daughters friendship circle or not?

What could she be hoping to gain?

Good luck Kate.

Hi Kate,

My daughter has had a similar problem with intermittent knee pain which the GP did diagnose as Osgood-Schlatters at one point. Her knees have never been swollen.

As for the bullying, I think you need to deal with it as quickly and effectively as possible. I am currently dealing with the (very unpleasant) repercussions of not having been pushy enough when my daughter was bullied for two years in our village first school.

She too was quiet and sensitive and I too worried about being labelled as a complainer or over-protective. I would give an awful lot to be able to turn back the clock and make sure the bully was dealt with swiftly and effectively.

If your daughter is crying about this she is hurting. Make the most of the fact that she is turning to you and bring it to the school's attention. Make sure that if it continues they will be contacting her parents.

You are quite right not to deal with it yourself although I can well imagine why you would want to. I'm sure your faith in the teacher is well founded so talk to her and expect her to do her job. Just ask for feedback on how it is being dealt with. This is what I never did and the school had swept it under the carpet.

I do hope you get this resolved soon.

I had that when i was a teenager. Cannot remember it being called anything though. I did a lot of swimming. Still struggle sometimes when been sat down too long I just putting down to getting older. gladly i was never bullied. School should help there is loads about bullying these days that they should be doing.

buttercup

My son was also diagnosed with osgood s .Very similar problems to your child (no swelling)For about 1-2 years it was quite a problem and caused much upset/distress. Thankfully he stopped having the pain and is fine now. Hope it gets sorted out soon especially at school. Unsworth

Hi Kate,

I can SO sympathise, I've been here with my daughter but she was older (11) Her knee used to give way when she was walking or running, with no warning.

She had x-rays and an MRI scan and nothing showed up. She was then referred to a physio who, within seconds of seeing Lex in cycle shorts, pointed out that her hips were out of alignment - one leg is an inch longer than the other from hip to knee although they're the same length knee to floor!! To compensate her foot tended to roll inwards (excess pronation) which can be corrected by wearing orthotics, and the muscle on the outside of her leg was stronger than that on the inside.

Orthotics can be bought at Boots and on the Internet. Her physio advised buying them and starting to wear them immediately, while waiting for an NHS podiatry (biomechanics) department. She should build up to wearing them as they can make the pain more intense to start with, wear for an hour, rest an hour etc. They made SUCH a difference and coupled with physio reduced the pain within a week.

Lex's first Podiatry appointment was 8 weeks after her physio began and by then her knee muscle had strengthened and her walking was noticeably easier. The Podiatrist told us her Orthotics were of better quality than the ones he'd have been able to give her and adapted one by glueing a wedge of foam under it - better than the 6-8 week wait for the NHS to tailor them! She has continued with exercises from the Podiatrist and has regular 6 monthly checkups.

According to the Podiatrist it's a very common condition and much can be done to help - hopefully, your daughter will respond quickly to treatment and her "friend" will back off when she realises there really is a problem with your daughter's knee.

Good Luck, hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you'd like any further info or I can support in any way.

Nona X

You see, I knew I could rely on you guys.

Thank you for all your support. Sally was of school today, feeling rough and coldy, but I e mailed her teacher who was great and very supportive.

I have passed on info to Sally and she is cheered by the fact that the pain is likely to stop. I may well go back to the docs, but I am of the feeling that with this forum my GP might be taking a back seat. :o

Just , xD Thank you :(

xxx