Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Painting On Acrylic

Hi all

I'm a supply teacher out to make a good impression in reception, I've been mooching aroung the forum and would like to improve the outdoor provision.

If I attached some acrylic to our fence, what paint would we use that washes off and how much of a mess would it make on the new surface!

Thanks

jan

Hello and congratulations on your first post on the Forum. I'm sorry you haven't had any replies yet but it has been very quiet in here this weekend. I think eveyone must be doing their Christmas shopping :o

I'm not really sure what to suggest in the way of paint for acryllic. I don't think water-based paint will work, but you could try mixing it with some washing-up liquid to see if that does the trick. At least you won't have trouble washing it off! I think Cromar may work as well. Hopefully someone will come along with a better suggestion.

we used powder paint which has been made up with scola cell glue and some washing up liquid added to it.. no idea of quantity, we just made it! , washed off very easily and worked well, have also used just ready made paint and this was fine ...

I would experiment with what you have first... we never had a problem with whatever paint we used... adding washing up liquid helps it stick to plastics and also helps with washing off afterwards..

I assume this is for the children to paint on and then wash off... I used to love acrylic on a stand so they could see through while they painted on both sides... great fun, sometimes one would stand on one side and the other child would 'paint ' their picture on the acrylic from the other side..

Inge

sorry didn't add the mess bit...

the surface was fine.. washing off needed lots of water and very messy area around it...unless you can lift it off and wash in sink or large water bath...

Inge

I just wanted to say what a fantastic idea! Although I have never done this as an activity with the children I think it is one that would generate a lot of fun and rich learning opportunities. I was wondering if you could involve the children in the actual experiment of mixing different mediums as suggested as a group activity together with the children to find out which one works best then the children are part of the process aswell and finding out and using their own ideas for a solution. Just a thought.

I expect you will have lots of fun experimenting to find the best way to do this. :-)

Hi all, thanks for the welcome :)

The resources are a bit limited so it would have to be the normal 'squirty' paint, if you add washing up liquid does it not get too runny?

I love the idea of taking it off - i hadn't thought of that! then it would become an enhancement to the provision, which would be great.

Thanks again everyone

try just the squirty paint first.. ours enjoyed using hands and fingers to apply it... became a coulour mixing thing.. and as usual all ended up a very yukky shade of brown..

It doesn't need much washing up liquid.. if you need it.. but it does make it easy to wash off if it is in there!

could mix squirty paint and PVA for a thicker mix... not tried this on acrylic bit it works on other plastics...

PVA coloured with paint.. paint on acrylic, let it dry and it can often be peeled off for a window sticker... we did it one year using food colour to colour the pva.. children loved peeling it off.. and it just stuck to a window like a window cling...cannot remember all the details of how we did it as it was an accident.. but a bit of get children to try out differnt things..

I loved an acrylic board..

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)