Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Area

Hi all

I'm setting up a writing area for the first time and would like some ideas for activities and things to put in it! The current area is quite dull and uninspiring. Does anybody have any thoughts they could share?

Thank you :o

hi Peaches,

paper in different shapes and colours and a variety of mark making equipement are the obvious starting places.

You can also add dictionaries and clipboards, sellotape and staplers for book making. Handwriting pattern cards and letter formation guides are also something that I have found popular and then you add other bits to fit in with your topic. Perhaps display the keywords as well?

Hi

in our area we have a trolley with 12 plastic boxes in full of different paper, stencils, pens, crayons, chalks, scissors, tape and tracing paper ..so that the children can self select... :D

Materials for self selection as continuous provision, Also - we put a small photograph of each child and their name so that the 'writers' can copy each others names - works really well. I also put a small topic related word box there and a picture dictionary. Try to 'theme' it every week or so to fit in with what we are doing. ie: write a letter to Golidilocks (invitations, 'i am' sorry letters, bear shaped paper assorted sizes, related word bank hanging on teddy templates etc) Belair Early Years do a lovely book called 'writing' which has some nice ideas.

We collect our junk mail and use this as a resource for the children as well. We also have diaries in various sizes, post-its and notebooks with a couple of phones for message writing, appointment making, etc.

Sue :D

Ditto all of the above, plus stencils, templates, high frequency words and topic words. A display of environmental print is good too if you have the wall space - TESCO carrier bags, crisp packets, kit kat wrappers, school sign, STOP sign etc etc.

An area of wall space where children can put up their writing/messages etc, and a toy post box. Masking tape is good too as the children find it easier than sellotape. I heard Penny Tassoni talking about emergent writing last year and she advocated encouraging children to fill in all those junk forms you get from credit card comapnies etc, and then letting them pop them in the prepaid envelopes and post them on the way home!!!! :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)