Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessing Writing

We too suffer the down ward Pscale pressure problem! Now the government have asked for children who are not NC level 1 to be Pscaled the three line whip is out. :o

:D BUT I have just found a QCA document on their web site

Guidance for using P scales QCA/05/1538

and it says

"P scales are not designed to be used in early years nor beyond the age of 16. However, they are compatible with other systems of assessment used in these settings and staff will be able to explore, in their planning and assessment work, the interfaces between P scales and other systems.

The progress made by pupils in early years will be assessed and recorded using the early learning goals and foundation stage profile. These records will be carried forward into key stage 1 where they will provide a baseline from which further learning can be assessed. During key stage 1, staff will shift the focus of assessment away from the early learning goals

and begin to plot pupils’ attainment against national curriculum levels or, where more appropriate, P scales. By the end of key stage 1, this transfer from one system of assessment into another should be complete and staff will be able to record and report attainments using either national curriculum levels or, where pupils do not reach level 1, P scales."

I

In relation to this there is some very clear guidance about the use of the profile. The update for practitioners is attached here

This has been underpinned by a letter to CEO's of all LEA's and a briefing letter to all headteachers from Margaret Hodge. Gist of this letter :

child's progress can be recorded in the scale booklet but these are optional

There is no need for

extensive collections of evidence for individual children and no need to complete more than one record

It is not necessary to complete an LEA record AND an optional scale booklet.

The letter asks that FS practitioners are not required to undertake "non-statutory assessments"

The thrust of this is, as I read it, also that the Foundation Stage ELGs are the statutory assessment and therefore P levels are not applicable. They CAN be used in KS1 to assess children working at 'W' and this score can be reported to the LEA from this year but I think that there is a clear message here.

You may also be interested in this http://www.qca.org.uk/8798.html which is also placing P scales clearly in SEN. the draft guidance on using the P scales is clear that it is for post 5 and pre 16 yrs, and that it should connect with the pre 5 curriculum.

the full guidance for assessment is found here in the QCA guidance if you haven't seen it.

:)

CX

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)