Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

The World's Gone Mad!

As we have several Korean/Japanese/Chinese children I decided to buy a doll with a Chinese-looking face to replace the rather old and worn one we have already in our preschool. I decided to ask one of our staff who is Korean to buy us a doll when she went to South Korea for Christmas (rather than pay more from the education catalogues)

Would you believe SHE COULDN'T GET ONE! She tried every toy shop, asked friends but got the same message everywhere. They only sell Western dolls in Korea!

I think it is so important for children to play with toys that reflect the community they live in. How sad that the Korean children have to come here to play with dolls that reflect their culture!

Carolyn

That is just crazy!

The range of dolls in our UK EY supplies catalogues! We just can't afford to buy them all! I wish we could.

I have some lovely chinese dolls (from China, lol). Whenever I take these into the preschool where I work (usually just for Chinese New Year, etc.), the children pounce upon them. I got my mum to buy them when she was on her travels about four years ago. I think all six cost her the princely sum of £2-3 (equivalent). In fact, so little that she didn't ask for reimbursement!

I certainly won't part with them!

Diane.

Guest Sycamore

It is crazy! I remember as a child being taken to Jamaica (both parents worked for BA so was a lucky child in the 70's when travel to such places was very exotic!) and my parents wanted to buy me an Afro-Caribbean doll as a momento, again all were white caucasian! That was in the 70's but appalled to hear it may still go on!

I have a variety of mutli-cultural dolls from Spectrum.

I forgot to say that our Korean member of staff remembers playing with Korean dolls in South Korea when she was a child, so 20 or 30 years ago they used to have them. I'm not sure if it is market forces or the misplaced idea that anything western is good that means that they are not sold any more.

Carolyn

Being fortunate (and unfortunate, as he was away for 6 months at a time which meant that I grew up in a one parent, two parent family!) to have a parent in the merchant navy, I had a vast collection of artefacts from around the world as a small child and my dolls were my top collection! The man and woman from argentina were my favourites and I was very partial to the book "round australia on highway one". It only dawned on me a little while back that these would have been airport presents and not especially chosen with vast amounts of thought as I thought they were!!

The point of that however is that playing with these dolls from other cultures helped me know that even from my very mono cultural extremely southwestern existence the world was bigger than that. I think it fostered a life long desire to travel (especially in Latin america) and to learn languages. It heartens me these days that children can experience other places through the types of experiences/friends/input that we give them, and learn that the world is a fascinating and wonderful place! :D

Hello Carolyn

Have you METAS centre in your area. I am in the Buckinghamshire area and they are fantastic. I have large chinese laminated posters, 2 chinese dolls male and female. A puppet dragon, A story book on the Chinese new year and how all the animal got their names and many more. And they are all FREE!

They also have story sacks, large puppets of different cultures. Musical instruments from around the world. Too many to mention, I found out by calling the early years team at Bucks county council.

Scrapstores are also fab. It cost me £6.00 to join for the year, but you can fill your car up with whatevers there. I did a search for the scrapstore on freeserve.

Hope someone finds it useful.

Angie

I haven't heard of METAS. What is it? Tell me more.

We used to belong to the scrapstore and like you thought it was great, but they changed their rates. xD Now it's something like £60 or £80 for a preschool or day nursery (because they think we have plenty of funding :o ) for the year. You can join as a private individual, but then it's £10 per year plus £1 per bag of stuff you take. Not worth it for us any more :(

Carolyn

Angie,

I have not heard of METAS either, can you please let us know about this. I am also in Buckinghmashire, so I would really appreciate METAS contact details etc.

Thanks in advance

Claire :o

Hi -

METAS stands for Minority and Ethnic Traveller Achievement Service. It's a Bucks county service, so probably would only be appropriate for Claire. You can find out more about it here.

But there seem to be a number of equivalent services around the country, so I don't know if there might be one for Hants Carolyn?

Hi Saytch

METAS can be found at the back of the school listed below. Parking is at the back of the school, just follow the signs. There is a buzzer on the door, just tell them you are there to borrow resources from the centre. Explain that your new and they will talk you through it. When they took me to the room it was just like being a child in a sweety shop!

Have fun :)

Angie

Millbrook Combined School & Nursery

Mill End Road

High Wycombe

Buckinghamshire

HP12 4BA

Angie,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know how I have missed this as I go to the Boomerang toy library at the front of Millbrook School!!!

Are they open all the time?

Thanks again

Claire :)

Hi Saytch

Yes they are open all the time. I don't think they are open during the holidays but give them a call just to be sure because sometimes they have meetings in the room. Their number is 01494 473046.

Enjoy yourself :) Let me know how it goes.

Angie