Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home Visits And Tracking Children

Hi all,

I have just come back to work after a long period of sickness and would like to know if anyone can help me on 2 subjects. First I need to develop a child information sheet to fill in with parents/carers when doing their home visit. This info needs to give us lots of info about what their child is able to do before coming to school.

Secondly I have come back to this progress matters document. We have been using e profile in Reception to track progress but it looks like double the workload for the Reception teachers to carry out, e profile and progress matters. However I cannot see how just using the progress matters on its own would work as it is not broken down enough in the areas to track efficiently. Does anyone have anything they are using alonside progress matters that breaks the areas down to track more in depth than just a whole area? :o

Hi Katie -

I thought I'd have a crack at an initial response to this as you haven't so far received any replies [on this part of your question], but as I'm not a reception teacher you'll have to treat what I say with some suspicion and hopefully someone else will pop in with something more reliable. Usually when I say something wrong people are very prompt at correcting me! :o

It sounds like you're intending to work with Progress Matters AND the e-profile and you're in a reception class - is that correct? Because, as I understand it, in reception you should only be working with the FSP (and recording using the e-profile if your authority uses it). Progress Matters is intended for earlier FS settings.

Edited by Steve 26th Nov to merge duplicated topics.

Hi Katie, regarding the home visits, there are some examples of information or all about me sheets you could search for in the resource library. Give us a shout if you cant find them

Over Progress Matters, Steve is quite right, you need to complete the EYFSP using the eprofile if your LA supports it. You dont need to be worrying about Progress Matters, it is not statutory, and is more likely to be used by those working with younger children.

In regard to interviews with parents during home visits have you seen the information on the Paretns as Partners in Early Learning? Some reallly interesting and useful information on here http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/18550

I have found that sometimes a questionaire though a useful tool is a little inhibiting and what I really want is a conversation with the family and found this very helpful.

Hi Katie, regarding the home visits, there are some examples of information or all about me sheets you could search for in the resource library. Give us a shout if you cant find them

Over Progress Matters, Steve is quite right, you need to complete the EYFSP using the eprofile if your LA supports it. You dont need to be worrying about Progress Matters, it is not statutory, and is more likely to be used by those working with younger children.

Thanks for your response. I am a little confused as, when Ofsted came in, they asked us to tell them where we thought the children were in relation to the age related bands. Therefore do Reception not have to do both? :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)