Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tips To Encourage Writing In Ourdoor Area

Hi,

Have been a member a couple of years but not posted before. So hi everyone!

We have a one day ofsted monitoring visit coming up in the next 3 weeks. I've been told that the main focus for our f.s unit is to encourage writing, particularly boys and mainly outside.

Im after any tips or ideas you may have. We have a trolley with pens, pencils, stencils etc and when doing police for example we have pads and pens but im after general ideas which they will notice!!

thanks in advance.

Pavement chalk, painting brushes and water, clip boards as above, our boys can see the main road, so they do a lot of traffic surveys! I also tape long pieces of lining paper to the fence and they love to graffiti on that. They might like to be garage mechanics if you have any ride on toys or bikes, doing an m.o.t sheet.

thanks everyone. we have clipboards, chalks etc out but to be honest the clipboards are very tatty. I will buy some more tomorrow. i think thats half the problem. Our resources just look so old and tatty!

thanks everyone. we have clipboards, chalks etc out but to be honest the clipboards are very tatty. I will buy some more tomorrow. i think thats half the problem. Our resources just look so old and tatty!

Just one more item for your shopping list....a large roll of lining paper/plain wallpaper.......this always works for us....some how the boys seem attracted to the size of it.

• 3 months later...
Guest jenpercy
Just one more item for your shopping list....a large roll of lining paper/plain wallpaper.......this always works for us....some how the boys seem attracted to the size of it.

I struggle to see why outside should be cluttered up with reading writing etc. Surely we need to be encouraging the less active children into activity, not providing them with static things to do!!!!

I struggle to see why outside should be cluttered up with reading writing etc. Surely we need to be encouraging the less active children into activity, not providing them with static things to do!!!!

Surely you can have the best of both worlds? Some children need to be encouraged to be more active but others may be naturally active and need to be encouraged to access areas of the curriculum that they may not otherwise. Many children, boys in particular, will access the 'writing' resources when it is presented on a larger scale or a more dynamic way. This is easier to do in a larger outdoor space.

I have to say that I do kind of agree with Jen.

I was filling in a survey the other day about my children's play outdoors, and I had to admit that they have never done mark making outside at home during their free choice play, until they started at preschool. Why would they, when there are trees to climb, slides to go on, mud to dig in and so on?

At our preschool the children particularly love doing chalks on the ground, they made a lovely doormat the other day! They also chalk on the walls given half a chance :o

At our preschool the children particularly love doing chalks on the ground, they made a lovely doormat the other day! They also chalk on the walls given half a chance

Great example of outdoor mark making!!

Thumper - we have two scrubbing brushes, a bucket of warm water and the children 'fight' over who is going to clean off the chalking at the end of their time outside! Just another way to get them to use their muscles and shoulders

Edited by Panders

We have recently bought some great outdoor panels. These are available from www.essentialsforeducation.co.uk . We even asked them to make them to our sizes as the walls outside are a strange size. Delivered within 2 weeks. We bought outdoor painting panel, outdoor chalk board and outdoor dry wipe boards.

We have found a good selection of boards is working well, giving the children a choice.

Thumper - we have two scrubbing brushes, a bucket of warm water and the children 'fight' over who is going to clean off the chalking at the end of their time outside! Just another way to get them to use their muscles and shoulders

Good idea Panders, will go and get them tomorrow!

I take it there is no trace of chalk afterwards?, we'd be kicked out of the hall if there was!

Well whilst we don't tend to go over it again afterwards ourselves, there is a cloudy residue, but at least if your little darlings do most of the work it will take less time for the adults later, we have never put anything in the water either - do you put something like washing up liquid in when your adults are cleaning?

Our landlords are very forgiving and don't lay down the law to us. We are very lucky

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)