Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Assessment For Learning

Hi everyone,

I am currently on the second module of the second year of the foundation degree. The module is planning, assessing and evaluating learning. The homework for this week is to design a pupil self-assessment activity/worksheet for a pupil in your setting, adapt this if your setting is an early years setting.

I am really struggling about how to approach this one. I was thinking of taking in what we currently do, which involves the children looking at photographs of an activity they have been involved in and scribing what they say, from which we then feedback to them about ideas of what they could try next to extend or enhance their play. I have some lovely photo's of a little boy in my setting who was involved in block play and had added resources from the roleplay baby clinic, the hollow blocks then became compartments for all the baby's stuff, he played alongside another boy for over an hour. He does have a dominant enclosing schema, which the photographs clearly show, when shown the photo's the little boy talked about all the stuff his baby has (mum has recently had a baby girl) and it gets in the way of his own stuff. I fed back to him that by storing all the baby's things into its own space would make it easier for his mum to find and make some space for his things, this I then shared with mum, who said that they had moved the baby's crib/car seat and changing table into the playroom and yes Isaac's things had been moved to a corner of the playroom. Through his play he was working out how he could make room for his own things again, as a setting by observing, photographing, sharing this firstly with the child then mum, we were instrumental in moving him on to his next steps of acceptance of the baby and about sharing his space at home with his sibling.

I am struggling as to whether this is what is meant by self assessment in the early years, does anybody have any words of wisdom to guide me.

Claire x

What an interesting post Clare xD

I think child self-assessment is exactly what you have described, with perhaps some questions in there that you always ask, so that the children get used to using certain terms to describe what they have learned, what they can do to take their learning forward, etc. Maybe things like:

Why did you choose to do it that way/ with those things?

Would you choose to do it again, maybe with other children or adults?

What changes would you make?

Can you do something now that you couldn't do before?

Do you know something now that you didn't know before?

.....that sort of thing :o

I can't see many ways in which this sort of activity could be completely self-assessment in the early years.

Would it be more the requested format if you were to print the photos and then offer a way for the child to feedback their emotions. Maybe some faces showing different emotions to circle or thumbs up and thumbs down signs?

I was just thinking that it's quite hard to show a design for a conversation and any adult input could be seen to affect the outcome.

I just thinking on my feet so ignore me if it doesn't make sense :o

What an interesting post Clare xD

I think child self-assessment is exactly what you have described, with perhaps some questions in there that you always ask, so that the children get used to using certain terms to describe what they have learned, what they can do to take their learning forward, etc. Maybe things like:

Why did you choose to do it that way/ with those things?

Would you choose to do it again, maybe with other children or adults?

What changes would you make?

Can you do something now that you couldn't do before?

Do you know something now that you didn't know before?

.....that sort of thing :o

Thanks Helen, thats a great help

Fab post Clare - and great advice from Helen, as usual.

I'm still spluttering at the idea of being asked to design a worksheet... :o

Maz

I know its awful isnt it, this whole module is centred around primary/secondary with adaptions made for early years, lets just say I wont be making any worksheets!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)