Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching 'time' To Reception

I really need some help on planning the teaching of 'time' for my class. If anyone has any plans I could look at it would be really helpful as i am a little bit stuck!!

TIA :)

Lots of using timers - how many jumps can you do in one minute etc. I put compare bears and tongs in water tray - how many can they remove in one minute?

Also, there's a great book called 'The Time it Took Tom' (I probably heard about it on here!) which introduces lots of time vocabulary and is very funny.

I would treat time as ongoing learning. Do you have a large clock that you refer to so that children are used to you talking about the time that they do things, and become used to the language as part of their routine? At group time I would be doing the days of the week. Then I would introduce yesterday, today and tomorrow so yesterday we did... today we are doing, tomorrow we will.. Day and night is another aspect of learning about time and the passage of time. An Our Day chart with the different activities on it in sequence also supports the passage of time. Group time, snack time, lunch time etc. For specific time activities you could sequence their day talking about when they get up, come to school, go for lunch etc. They could look at different kinds of clocks and design their own. Use a clock to talk about the hours and change the hands for them to tell you what hour it is. Let them have a go as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)