Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Gifted And Talented?

From our recent training on G&T that varies from school to school. As a benchmark we are trying 100+ for more able register and 105+ for the G&T register as this works out about right for the % of the year group on each of the registers. However this doesn't really work for all of them and at the end of the day teacher judgement needs to be considered.

Recently on a training course I was told by the EYFSP assessment advisor (can't remember his official title!) that the 'average' child scored between 78 and 96, with scores above meaning they were considered able in the areas where they scored more than 8 points (96 obviously being an 8 in every stand).

Hmmmmm....With the rest of the school, we have to know/say which area they are gifted or talented in, such as reading, music, maths, swimming (I'm sure you get the picture!)

So......surely it is better to look at each child's scores for particular scales, and their skills/talents within these, rather than a total score? If they were able across the board, they would have a high score, but that doesn't mean they are gifted or talented.

Not an expert at all, just thinking out loud.

What about nursery? What is considered gifted and talented. I have a few children that can orally blend and segment and 1 child who recognises letters.

That's what concerns me Marion as it rather depends on the intake doesn't it? My LA said at least 2 Levels above the average for the national expected levels for the cohort in whatever area, which made a bit of sense in KS1 as that would be Level 3 for Y1 at the beginning of the year. I think that there is a world of difference between very able and G & T.

I was going to put that in my post, Marion (the bit about the top 10%), but it became a bit of a rant about the 10% of one class not being that bright but supposedly still being G or T! So I deleted it - but I'm glad you posted it - and far more concisely than I would have done!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)