Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who Is Against Taking Risks?

tess

Hello

I am currently trying to put my research proposal together and I'm stuck.

My project is on risks in the outdoor classroom - I can find loads of infor on the need to take risks.

But struggling to start a counter argument - who wants kids wrapped in cotton wool

(besides mums - and today I'm included in that total as a year today my youngest tried ripping his ear off on a slide. he's banned from slides today - tomorrows fine. But not today. can't bear another halloween in a & e.)

Thanks You

Guest tinkerbell

Hi

I suppose the LEA wouldn't want too much risk and you could write about 'calculated' risks and risk assessments ?

sorry its all I can think of at the moment

Tinkerbell

Hi Tess

Perhaps I can help by relating my experiences? Last term I was unfortunate enough to have two children in my setting fracture their wrists in separate and very different accidents at my preschool. Parents on both occasions were very supportive and I carried out an investigation, reflected on our practice and checked that our policies and procedures were fit for purpose. I listened when people told me that children of this age have accidents and that fractures of this nature were not uncommon when children put their hands out to break their fall. However I was mortified the first time, and when it happened again I was on the verge of giving up and going to work in Tesco.

I became slightly paranoid about what our children were doing - especially when running about outside (although both the incidents happened indoors). I had to really steel myself against the urge to stop the children doing everyday ordinary things just because I couldn't stand the thought of another child falling over and breaking their wrist too.

Intellectually I knew that children need to assess and manage their own risks when playing, and that any challenge involves a certain amount of risk. However emotionally I just wanted to wrap up all my children in cotton wool so that they wouldn't hurt themselves. It is getting better, but I can completely understand why practitioners might frown upon 'risky' activities for fear that parents would sue them, or Ofsted would close them down.

I am still worried about what might happen should a third child have an accident and injure themselves, but I have to manage my fears in relation to what children need, and as time passes things are returning back to normal!

Maz

there is a new book out called to safe for their own good available from Amazon which may have some arguments and also a book called no fear growing up in an adverse society if that is any help

killowengirl

The BBC site has "Should children take part in activities with an element of danger?" as a debate. It stems from Price Edwards comments regarding the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme. The comments might give you some ideas. HERE :o

i'd agree that parents attitudes have changed over the years, the fear of being sued by parents has increased too not all parents pat the child on the head and say never mind accidents happen parents seem too quick to be looking to blame someone, and then there are the insurance companies wanting to know every change in provision and charging extra depending of risk factor which inturn has a finacial implication on schools and preschools

Id say there is a big change in society in recent years, thats had a big impact on the way we manage sessions its not just the need for risk assessments on everything but the additional paperwork thats been added to the daily job of keeping children safe the range of policies and record keeping that is needed, every year there seems to be another policy that needs to be written.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)