Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children's Toilets

Can anyone help me find some information about suitable materials to use in a Disabled Toilet. Our builder who is doing the renovation is insisting on using painted ply wood to box in the cistern - I want melamine or something similar but cannot find anything to show him to back me up. I know all surfaces should be smooth and waterproof and surfaces easy to keep clean but I cannot find anything to say what they should be made of.

Do you have anything on paper or know where I can find such information.

You would think as we were paying him we should be consulted.

I have had a quick search but cant find anthing xD However I agree wood is not appropriate. Even if it is painted it would then need some sort of waterproof varnish.

I have worked in a setting where the cistern was covered by pine tunnel and groove (is that what you call it) it was a disaster!! Especially with little boys who dont always pay great attention when going to the loo. The wood became stained and in spite of meticulous daily cleaning it eventually started to warp!!!!

Don't know if telling the builder this will be of any help!! :o It surely has to be melamine??

Could you use Marine Ply and then tile over it? The tiles could continue onto the wall behind, and look more unified. The lid would need to have a couple of accessible screws so that you could get to the cistern, but the lid could be tiled, too.

If commercial kitchens are usually done in stainless steel, does that mean there is a statute on materials, and if so shouldnt it apply to toilets too???? It just seems srnge that there isnt a regulation on this (there's one for everything else) :o:D

It just got worse---------------------- cistern box is not a cistern box as cistern has been places on outside!!!!! We now have pipe work going alround the door.

New front door is not complient with the new Disability Act, front dool bell is black on dark brown wood so cannot be seen, Cowboy builder doesn't understand that disability also means particially sighted can only think of people in wheel chairs, we also have a leak ------I just want to cry. Building company taken on by Head Teacher who doesn't want to know.