Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crb Checks

Guest lilpil

Hello I was wondering if anyone could let me know how long a CRB check lasts for? How often do you as a setting re do them? Getting conflicting information from some websites, some say every 3 years and some are saying you only need to re do them if you have any concerns about a member of staff! Hope someone can help and I have made some sort of sense!!

Some bodies advise redoing them every three years as you have seen but Ofsted will only pay the cost if you have doubts over the suitability of a previously checked member of staff or if that person has been away from the setting for a period of time. If you do want to redo them your setting will have to meet the cost. Some LAs have tried in the past to insist that they are rechecked every three years as condition of the NEF but on further discussion have backed down over the costs. Ofsted themselves only talk about rechecking in the instances listed above so we go with that one until they say otherwise as we cannot afford to pay for more checks.

we all had ours done when our new chairperson came (we are committee run group) as she wanted to ensure all up to date - that was four years ago - i dont think there is a time limit - just need to crb all new staff - i thnik the new independent safeguarding authority should also be informed and all practitioners should be registered with them before they start work.

i would say its a case of how often you feel the checks should be done and whether you can afford them.after all they should inform you if there are any concerns regarding a member of staff shouldnt they?

I do have a letter from Ofsted which says it but it is some years old now. It is probably best to contact the company who do your CRB checks and ask advice from them or check their website. We use TMG and I know there is a section on the website which states the information given.

I dont think there is anything 'official' lilliejos. I usually send Ofsted an email if I have a query and keep the response in the operational plan to present to them on an visit. Here's one I did in 2007. As far as I'm aware this bit " If the policy changes, everyone affected by the change will be informed". has never happened so i presume they havent changed their stance.

Answers to my email

Bear in mind though that when we all have to register with teh Barring and vetting scheme we will all undergo a new CRB anyway so you might aswell hang fire till then, its what we're doing at playgroup except for new committee members.