Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree?

Hi all

I am over half way of completing my level3 in CCLD and have been thinking of what I would like to do next.

a) Nothing and enjoy

:o embark on the foundation degree

My ambition is to become a primary school teacher, but for various reasons I haven't quite made it yet. However, after beginning work in my pre-school and working my way towards the level 3 I have started to think, why not?

I have looked at the local colleges and university's around me and they do not offer this degree, so I am looking at going through the OU route - which will probably suit me better. The next course starts in Oct 2010, but I am not scheduled to finish my level 3 until feb 2010.

I know that it is going to be hard work, but I keep thinking of all the possibilities that could open up. But am I foolish to consider it so soon?

Do you think I am mad to even think about it? I thought it best to ask you all, after all many of you have completed the degree or are completing, so could give me first hand advice.

Thanks in advance.

S

Hi Plummie

Well its a very personal decision, and one that needs to be taken after weighing up all the issues involved.

However, I have to say that my Foundation Degree was the turning point for me: it really opened up my mind and made me think about why I was doing what I was doing, and to begin to develop my own principles and ethos about my work.

There are lots of OU 'old hands' on here who will be able to advise about this route to a degree - and to support you when you get stuck in, should you decide that this is the route for you!

Good luck!

Maz

Yes, by all means go for it, but!

I would suggest you consolidate your current learning. Embarking on the OU course assumes you are an experienced practitioner who is looking to build upon a body of knowledge gained through your day to day. I'm not saying you couldn't do it, just that you would be better placed to more fully develop your practice with some time spent developing your practice.

Whatever - enjoy, and keep us informed!!

Sue :o

As an OU student, I can throughly recommend this route. As others have said the FD has been (and still is) the turning point for me.

You can speak to the OU student advisors as to whether this is the right time for you within the context of your current knowledge and experience.

The study is more academic than previous childcare courses I undertook, but that is a plus point because I am learning so much.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Hi

I have just completed the Foundation Degree this summer and am now a student with OU for my final year topping up to a full BA in Early years starting in Feb 2010. It was an amazing learning experience and a turning point for me also.

Saying that I wish I had taken the BA Early Years instead of the foundation degree but when at college it all happened so fast.

I would suggest that you look at all your options and think what direction you want to go first before you rush in to anything.

Good luck with whatever choice you make just make sure it is the right one for you.

:o

I think you should go for it!!!

Although your NVQ 3 finish date isn't until after the FD start date you may finish the course in advance of the planned date!

I would just say though that the FD is nothing like an NVQ and the work load and the level of work is hard.

I enjoy it most of the time............... but do find working and having a life and going to college.............. stressful sometimes!!

Although your NVQ 3 finish date isn't until after the FD start date you may finish the course in advance of the planned date!

I would certainly not advocate starting the Foundation Degree with the NVQ still in progress - the difference between Level 3 and the Foundation Degree is quite marked and you do need to give it all your attention. I guess a lot depends on your level of experience, what your other academic achievements have been (for all I know you might have a Masters degree in marine biology!).

Definitely something to think about carefully though - and get the ball rolling by making whatever enquiries you can. Suddenly you'll find its time to apply and you wouldn't want to miss the boat if the time is right for you to move on!

Maz

Thanks for your replies.

My NVQ finishes in Feb 2010 and the Foundation Degree starts in Oct 2010, so they don't over lap - I definately wouldn't do both of them at the same time...I don't think my brain could take that!!

I think I will call the OU and speak to an advisor and ensure that I get all the information needed to make a informed decision.

I want to do the Foundation Degree, I think it is a matter of whether I will be ready in October 2010.

Thanks again, and I will keep you updated on my choice.

S

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)