Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bad Back!

Jackie A.

Like many people (especially in our job!) I suffer with lower back problems. I have done for 12 years and up to last year had a couple of "episodes" every year where my back completely seizes up preventing me from sitting, bending, walking, lying and just about everything else. These usually lasted a few days and after rest and painkillers I generally get over them. However last year I had more frequent incidents, lasting longer which led me to see an osteopath and speak to my G.P.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was referred to the orthopaedic clinic at the hospital and saw the consultant earlier this week. He has referred me for physio and possibly cortisone injections.

What's really worrying though, is that after asking me about my job, he has forbidden me from sitting on the small chairs that we have in the Nursery classroom. I'm always quite comfortable on these chairs and felt that they were doing my back good, but he disagrees and says that they are making the problem worse. He suggested that I sit at my desk and ask the children to bring their work to me! :o He obviously has no idea how we work in a foundation stage setting! I don't even have a desk!! The other suggestion is to carry a cushion round and kneel at the tables. I have tried this for a few days, and apart from being extremely painful on the knees, the children keep tripping over my very long legs! (I am 5' 10)

Someone at work has suggested to me that you can get special stools on wheels that you kneel on and it puts you in a good position posturally. It's not ideal as I would be having to constantly move this stool around, but it's a start. Does anyone use one of these stools at work or know where I could get one?

I know back problems are so common, but it's really getting me down as I do not want to keep taking time off, but don't want to risk making my back worse in the future.

Jackie

:(xD

have you considered consultng or being referred to occupational health? You might get some better ideas of how to deal with this in your workplace. your head/manager should be paying regard to this issue too and looking at ways to solve it because it is not in their interests to have you suffer further illness/time off now they are aware of an existing condition and should be taking this seriously.

could you use an adult size chair and move it with you? Maybe have a few dotted around the room for other staff to use too? Whatever you do though, listen to your consultant. He /she might not know about schools but they know a lot about damage to your spine.!! :D

Poor thing- Occupational health should help. I work with someone who has trouble from time to time. She is fine kneeling so take some gardening pads (cushion not attatched to knees) and puts it down on the table she's working on and kneels this keeps her back nice and straight. Hope the back eases\soon. Lucyd

Poor thing- Occupational health should help. I work with someone who has trouble from time to time. She is fine kneeling so take some gardening pads (cushion not attatched to knees) and puts it down on the table she's working on and kneels this keeps her back nice and straight. Hope the back eases\soon. Lucyd

Sorry- you've tried this- should read more carefully!

I am a back sufferer too and have been ever since a disaterous epidural 20 years ago! I know what you mean about 'incidents' where you are rendered incapable but have developed preventative measures over the years and they work for me.

I cannot stand in the same position for any length of time ( watching my sons play football, sees me wandering up and down the sidelines!!) at work that's not a problem as there is never time to stand still :D I find the nursery chairs are not a problem but bending over tables/sandpits etc etc is so I am just careful not to do sudden movements. I often kneel and to date havent had a problem with children tripping over my legs.

The stools you mention are superb! I am sitting on one as I type this and can happily sit for hours without any ill effect. It's a case of ensuring my lower back is straight, no slouching!!

However, there are times when I feel a niggle coming on and as soon as I do a cold pack is my answer. You can get very small gel filled ones (like the children have in lunchboxes) At home and at work I have one in the freezer and also have one in each place that is just room temperature. I simple stick it on the affected area and the niggle does not escalate! The strength of the niggle dictates whether I use room temp or frozen pack! The frozen one numbs the pain and also works to reduce the inflamation of the nerves etc ( recommended by my chiropracter years ago)

My stool was ordered from an office supplies catalogue through my husbands office and cant remember the name but I have seen them in Staples. Like anything else there are good ones and bad ones and its worth looking around.

Hope this may help and good luck.

My heart goes out to you!!!

I too have to avoid the small chairs, my problem is that my hip pops out of joint!!!!! :o It's happened twice since last November, and is NO FUN. My way round it, because the kneeling chairs are not appropriate for me, is to have a computer chair with arms and adjstable height seat, so I can keep my joint at no more than 90 degrees, I push up with my arms when standing so I don't exceed the 90 degrees and keep the leg extended. (not really much help to you, your prob is back!!) This was the result of discussions with Occupational therapists, who have been absolutely brilliant!!! I strongly add my recommendations to those of Lucyd and Catma! I have to roll it around the pre-school, and have to eat lunch in the office, as the staff room is down a short flight of stairs (the scene of my most recent debacle, on too-low adult seating!) and I can't get the chair down them, but hey!!

Good luck, hope you find the right solution for you soon.

Sue :D

Hi Jackie and other back suffers> I know the problem too and have considered it an occupational hazard.

One solution I have found is a kneeling stool. Only trouble is it doesnt do much for the toes of your shoes!

It is a small stool which had very slighty curved legs allowing it to rock slighty and you can sit quite comfortably on the wooden top but in a kneeling position which takes the weight from your knees and prevents pins and kneedles etc. It keeps the spine upright and you can also sit against a wall if you wish. I found it very useful when I wanted to be on the floor, for circle time or in the hall etc.

I cant actually remember which catalogue it came from but it is also recommend by physios and may have been the '3 bears playthings'.

As Ive now moved schools and left it behind I'd be interested if anyone can track it down!