Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help Please!

Hi there! We have a new child who is having Speech and Language Therapy. Mum gave me a letter from the SPL Therapist who says she wants us to play lip games encouraging more awareness of lip closure - he dribbles excessively.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of this and do you have any exercises and games we could use as the SPL Therapist offered none. I am going to ring her tho but know you guys will come up trumps before I can get her on the phone :o

Thanks!

Just dashing out but didn't want to read and run!

My immediate thought is have you heard of 'Mr Tongue' ?

I haven't got anything I can attach as it's all at work but it was recommmended by a SALT seeing one of our children.

Maybe a quick google of Mr Tongue might throw something up but I will come back tomorrow when I have had a root around at work and see what I can find!

Thank you Geraldine. All help gratefully received. I think I've got a tatty copy of Mr Tongue but I think his concentration is so poor we could only do a bit but I will try!

just putting my thought down,

would games to make silly sounds which require you to keep lips together be a way to go..

like blowing raspberries or train or car brumm sounds.. is there a story you could make up using toys and these sounds incorporated.

Inge

how about things like -bubble blowing ,blow football, bubble painting, blowing paint with straws.

songs such as - baa baa black sheep ,

mirrors so they can see what shapes their mouths make,

sound bags - pretty bag with different objects in , they then pick out an object and name it -you could use objects that start with the same letters and change the letters each day letters such as 'mmm' 'bbbbb' 'pppp' etc

a bag with animals in and they choose an animal and make the noises

i would suggest tactile chewing objects to develop mouth muscles, including food items such as dried mango (if he can manage that) as it's usually a loose mouth that dribbles.

i would suggest tactile chewing objects to develop mouth muscles, including food items such as dried mango (if he can manage that) as it's usually a loose mouth that dribbles.

We have had some success with Chewy Tubes, having had them recommended to us by our Inclusion support team.

Maz

A few years ago we had a little girl with similar problems - we were asked to encourage her to suck - using straws at snack was good - it all helps to develop the right muscle within the jaw.

Also mum was encouraged to provide drinks with straws - luckily there are flasks with straws these days so drinks cartons with too much sugar are not necessary!

Spiral.

felt better not to suggest it...

Trust Beau to lower the tone eh Inge?

Thanks for this - they look really good to the lay person. Have saved them away because you never know when they might come in handy!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)