Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Computerised Assessment

Is there anybody out there who could possibly offer me advice on computerised assessment? Our school currently uses the Essex Target tracker. It was effective, generated helpful graphs, which were very impressive for parents and on reports and generated reports with targets achieved and next targets. Reports did need heavy editing but still saved a huge amount of time and the inspector loved them. The Nursery use it for Stepping stones and we use it for Foundation stage profile as well. At the end of the year I was able to produce suitable documentation for the LEA without any form filling etc. which saved hours. Target tracker costs money though, there is an annual fee and it has now been changed and upgraded so we have to learn to use it all over again.

I noticed that there is a free software package available at http://schoolsportal.suffolkcc.gov.uk/schools/FSP /

Has anybody any experience of using either of these systems - or does anybody know anything better we can use? I find pieces of paper a nightmare - and usually lose them anyway and the computerised versions seem less time consuming.

Sorry this posting is so long and thank you for any help or advice you could offer.

Ruthanne :)

Hi Ruthanne -

It looks to me that that link is for the eprofile software, now used by Birmingham and other LEAs.

The eprofile has been discussed many times here: here's one example, but you can find others by typing in 'eprofile' in the search page.

I believe that more recent versions are quite good and reliable - there was a discussion a while back from someone who wanted to use it abroad, but who was unable to. This is because of a limitation - you have to have a legitimate UPN for each pupil.

I know Mundia knows the software quite well, but she's not able to log in every day at the moment.

There is an alternative product which is a commercial package. It's good with the Foundation Stage Profile, but not with Stepping Stones. I did quite a long review of it which you can find here.

Hope that helps - I'd be very interested in hearing how you get on with the eprofile if you do decide to try it out!

Hi Ruthanne -

That's no bother - lots of things get discussed more than once here. It's just useful sometimes to cross-reference things.

Usually, there's new information in the new posts as well, and a topic is often woken back up again. I hadn't seen the user guide in the site you linked to, for example, so I spent 20 minutes yesterday reading through the documentation!

:)

Hi Ruthanne

dont ever think any thing is a bother! It isnt, if it was we wouldnt be here.

I only have experience of Curriculum Complete and I couldnt get that to do what I wanted although theoretically I think it should have produced graphs etc. I believe the Early Years dedicted version may be better but havent seen it so cant make a judgement.

Hi Ruthanne, the link you have there is for the eprofile, which a number of LEAs are now using. Personally I like it, as do my reception colleagues who use it, and it can create reports at the end of the year as well as provide the data that you need to give the LEA.

It takes a bit of getting used to but is fairly straight forward once you get the hang of it.

There are quite a few members here using it so help wouldnt be far away if you get stuck!

If you wish to use it, it is worth checking with your LEA that you can use it to send the data at the end of the year. Birmingham insist on the use of the eprofile for this, other LEAs may ask for another format.

Also, it isnt any use for the nursery year, so if you want something that looks the same for nursery and reception, this probabaly isnt the way to go.

But if you can use it yourself and still give the LEA what they want, Id certainly have a play and see if its for you.

Thank you very much for the kind, friendly and helpful replies. It looks as if I shall have to check with the LEA that they have some kind of agreement about technical support. Essex Target tracker give amazing support on line, over the 'phone and they even worked on floppies that I sent them to sort out something with the reports. I guess its that technical support the school has to pay for when they employ computer illiterates like me,

Have a wonderful, relaxing Sunday everbody,

Ruthanne :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)