Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help

One of our mom's has just had a new baby :D The thing is, she's keeping her 3 year old son away as much as possible because he's got a cold and she doesnt want the baby to get it.

Am I right in thinking the baby will have a natural immunity to bugs for at least the first few weeks? We've also got 2 cases of chilcken pox and I know she's worried about her son catching it now. Any words of wisdom I can pass on to her? :o Thanks :D

Hi Rea, this is a really tricky one, especially as Chicken pox is involved. Chicken pox is a very nasty and much under rated childhood disease with serious although rare side effects and I would personally respect this mothers wishes in this instance. It may be that she can not and should not keep her children in a bubble and even by avoiding preschool now will not avoid chicken pox but with a new born baby she is entitled to be cautious.

It is also true as you say that the baby should have certain immunities, particularly if breast feeding is taking place, but I dont know how long these immunities last.

In a school situation, the mother would if she were keeping her child at home be at risk of attendence issues and withdrawal of place it if were not being used properly and especially if there was a waiting list.

What about the elder child? Is he likely to suffer within his peer group if he stays away? Is he particularly clingy or something that perhap he too needs to stay at home at the moment and bond with mum and the new baby?

This of course does not solve your dilemma. I think the answer is probably that you need to keep talking to the mum and encourage her to return to preschool as soon as possible!

Thanks for your help both, I wasnt clear in the first post, for which I appologise, :o but it's the baby she's keeping the 3 yr old away from not the playgroup. Anyway, no matter, at least I can reasure her on the cold, and I'll certainly check she's taking advice from the midwife or GP regarding the chilcken pox. I know new parents can be a bit paranoid but I feel for this little lad, on the baby's 2nd night home he had to stay at his grandparents because he had a sniffle. Hardly condusive to sibling bonding and acceptance. xD Thanks again. :D

Oh dear! Completely misunderstood then! That does not sound like a good thing to do at all. My younger son definitely caught all the things that his older brother had but they shared a bedroom and I attributed alot of the problem to that. I'm sure the school must have been dubious when both boys were ill together but thats the way it happened and its actually easier to manage!

Rea

I think that is really sad keeping a lad away from his new baby for fear of illness. Surely the 3 year old will resent the prescence of the new baby or am I over reacting. :(xD:o

My two now 10 and 7 have shared toys, meals and a wide assortment of coughs, colds, chicken pox and other childhood illnesses including the dreaded heeadlice. I think your parent needs some help to see that the affect her seperating the children might have could be worse than a sniffle or two. :(

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)