Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Does Your Long Term Planning Look Like?

We are expecting OFSTED and we are fortunate enought to have a healthy approach to pratical and useful planning. ie not bits of papers for bits of papers sake. However it has been highlighted that our LTP is a bit gappy throughout the school. I am an NQT and in reception so do all the foundation stage planning myself.

Does anyone use a really workable LTP document. I am not looking for pages- but something different and more informal, but as useable. I think we are seaching for the impossible- but if anyone has some different approaches it would be good to hear.

Thanks

LTP for us is just a overview of the topics for the year.... no real detail apart from headings. We then do medium term planning related to the stepping stones and elgs.

I will post a blank copy of the sheet I use for medium term... I have posted it else where for current planning through the year.

Hope it helps and good luck.

L

Foundation_Stage_Medium_Term_Planner.doc

Finally got round to this!

Our LT Plan only shows the SS and Goals, so we can monitor our coverage, which we do by highlighting and dating for cross-reference. We do, however have a statement of continuing provision, a copy of which is filed with LT planning. There are some other bits and pieces, too.

Ofsted have been happy so far and more to the point, it works for us.

Sue :D

There is an excellent document called Planning for Progress 2. Produced by Tower Hamlets ISBN 187392836X £20 + £5 P&P email : info @ learningdesigns.org

I wouldn't be with out it. I based my long term planning on this document and adapted it for our setting and resources. It is far more detailed than any examples posted. Sorry I can't post examples at the moment, seem to have lost the file.

Planning planning planning - read the planning article by Dee which just about summed it all up. I use a computer programme which I think is brilliant. It really is a glorified database with every stepping stone/early goal detailed which you can just pull in to your planning. However we all know that best laid plans all go slightly pear shaped on more than one occasion. I really enjoyed the research undertaken by Cambridge whereby it focussed on independent learning. This really summed up for me how children should learn. In fact after a hard day with my accreditation assessor whereby I felt I had to achieve all that I should achieve decided to take a day off and let the children guide me in what they wanted. No plans, no expectations, no nothing and do you know what it was a fantastic session, the children were calm - we acted as facilitators in their learning, the whole session was quiet, organised and meaningful in every way. There were no plans to follow - the children and we (the staff) enjoyed every minute of it. I had forgotten how enjoyable it was - all too concerned with achieving the planning objectives most of the time to actually enjoy what I am doing. I am now going to look at how I can incorporate no planning into my planning!!

Nikki

Nichola, I do this 6 weeks of the yaer. This accounts for the 6 weeks we are open but receive no grant or any other fee. If I'm not being funded to provide detailed plans then I dont bother. These are the weeks when I ask the children what they want to do and (usually!) go with. It's great fun, no pressure to achieve and I go home full of new ideas from watching their play, instead of their play which results from my plans. They are so much better than I am at planning their play. :D:D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)