Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas

Cat22

Hello All,

Firstly I'm not sure if I've posted this in the correct place, apologies if it is meant to be elsewhere. This is only my third post I think!

It's friday night and i've nothing better to do than worry about Christmas. I'm begging for help. This year my class are doing a traditional nativity play with carols such as Away in a Manger and Little Donkey etc.

Does anyone have a written play script I can borrow. I'm finding it really hard to write. I did think it would be really easy but once you actually sit down to write one, I can't even begin to think of how to start.

Please help

Huge thanks

Cat

:oxD

I'm pre-school, we do a traditional nativity every year, we don't sing too many songs though as this takes so long for the children to learn but we do sing Away in a Manger, See the star up in the sky, twinkle, twinkle little star and We wish you a Merry Christmas.

I have always just based my "script" on the ladybird book The First Christmas. The story is told in very basic terms, I tend to narrate, however, as the children have practised a few times they do pick up lines to say and if they are able then they interpret the gist of what needs to be said in their own words.

Try not to stress out too much the parents just love to see this story told over and over again, it's almost like a rite of passage - the children could recite the phonebook and the parents would still love it!

I've just ordered a new book which is based on a cat and its kitten and how all the animals involved in the nativity visit them before going in to see baby Jesus - in the book you don't see Wisemen etc., only animals and the crib at the end, I thought that might make a good way to tell the nativity story too.

We (adults) usually tell the story and the chn act out with some small speaking parts where suitable and all singing songs in appropriate parts of the story. Last year we positioned paretns in a horseshoe around the hall and we made sure that all characters walked around the hall at some point during the story- this helped the chn by moving around and meant all the parents got to see all the chn at some point close up and take photos. This year we wanted something a bit different than the last ho knows how many years so we have just bought this:

http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/014301/details.html

It arrived in 2 days and the CD is fantastic- the chn will learn the songs very quickly! The CD has the tracks with and without vocals which is nice to have the choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank u for your help. I think I am going to combine both ideas. The nursery rhyme christmas nativity songs with some acting from the first christmas by ladybird!

I am still very worried about this as it is the first time I have put on a play with just recpetion, we've always had year 1 and 2 to blend in with!

Thanks again

Cat

Also, try to plan something that won't fall apart if a child is ill and can easily be practiced in small groups in the classroom.

It's nice if you can think about the children's strengths and then you have the most chance of success.

E.g think about your wriggliest,'naughtiest' most unpredictable child and think about a role specially for him/her. Make it seem like a very important role and they will rise to the challenge.Focus on what they are good at. If they shout a lot make them the town crier etc!!

I remember a particular year when two boys fitting the above description took part in our Christmas around the world nativity. They were the people of Scotland and came in carrying their swords which they solemnly lay down across each other before doing a highland fling across the blades.Classic-I still have the video and they were the stars of the show.

Drummers is another good one or Mary's nurse, holding the baby a lot!! or the Christmas Postman etc.

Enjoy!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)