Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Time Balance

I am new to reception this year and finding it tricky to know how much time to dedicate to adult directed and led activities and how much time to allow for child intiated and led activities. Anyone got any answer on this. I would appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Isn't it 20% adult led activitiy and 80% child initiated? that's what we aim for! :o

It's strange because we have been discussing it today.

The balance of child initiated and adult led is always challenging and we have been discussing it alot in the past week in our LA with our head tecahers and FS leaders. On balance, if you pardon the pun, it really need to be what is appropriate for the children and this will look different over the year. Having said that we have also been exploring the 1/3 adult led, 1/3 child initiated and 1/3 child initiated with adult support, scaffolding and the development of sustained shared thinking. We had the senior PNS advisor talking last week and she referred to some analysis from the EPPE effective settings that the team had done that agreed with the 1/3. 1/3 and 1/3 approach.

The 80% versus 20% is about the amount of evidence required for the FSP scale points, there is expected to be 80% child initiated evidence foir each scale point and no more than 20% from adult directed activities where the adult may have drawn out the child's knowledge as opposed to the child demonstrating their skills, knowledge and understanding through their own initiated play.

On a really basic level I think it is about what is right for your children and you will only know how to make it balance for your children by knowing them really well. The fact that you are questioing would make me think you are getting it right.

I totally agree with that. It's so hard to know whether you're doing it 'right'. Being in a one form entry school that doesn't have a pre-school or nursery of it's own, I really am on my own at work with no one to bouce ideas about with. Being able to pick other practitioners brains helps so much!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)