Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Suitable Person?

Just wondered if anyone else who works in a CC could help me out here? We have a PVI playgroup that operates from one of the rooms- 4 full days each week- in our centre. The playgroup manager is leaving at Christmas, so we need another suitable person.

Can this be an existing staff member from the CC who DOES NOT work in the playgroup room, of does it have to be somebody who will be in the room with the staff and children all the time? Thanks for any help.

I don't think you necessarily have to be working in the room/setting but you do have ultimate responsibility for it - the suitable person must ensure that all necessary policies and procedures are followed and I think it is quite a responsibility if you are not close to the general day to day running of it. Ofsted have some guidelines on this and you could check with your early years team. Going through the suitable persons interview is time consuming but necessary. I remember mine took nearly 3 hours despite the fact that I had already done one before. You really need to have a good understanding of what they do and how they do it and be able to manage change within the setting. I am sure some other people will contribute to this too jsut in case I have got it wrong, I also think that you have to have a certain amount of years/experience in a group too although not sure what qualifications they need to become a suitable person.

Nikki

This is a bit pedantic but are we talking 'suitable' or 'registered' person here? As supervisor I had to have a suitable persons interview (as did my deputy when she was appointed) but it was the owner who was the registered person.

Maz

thanks for pointing out the difference. I'm talking about whoever has ultimate responsibility for what happens in that room during the time the playgroup children and staff are in it.

thanks for pointing out the difference. I'm talking about whoever has ultimate responsibility for what happens in that room during the time the playgroup children and staff are in it.

So that's the registered person - when I took over as Supervisor of my group our registered person was the owner. She would spend about an hour in the group each morning and then go home and do paperwork etc. In the initial stages she didn't have a Level 3 qualification, but was an experienced early years practitioner, tutor and NVQ assessor. However as owner of the group she was ultimately responsible for ensuring our legal and statutory obligations were met.

Hope that helps.

Maz

thanks so much- I am happy to go ahead and be the suitable person knowing that the head of centre as the registered person can't pass the buck to me!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)