Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What's In A Name?

Hi everyone,

I am starting up a new setting in January which is part of a trust in a church. I am paid to manage and do all day to day activities, reporting to trustees at intervals. We shall be offering full daycare, all year round. Am I a nursery school, pre-school, nursery, day nursery? Does it really matter what I call the setting? It's all so confusing!

Help!

Lesley :o

Hi there, I thought you could only call a setting a nursery school if there is a qualified teacher in charge....might be wrong though. Hope that helps a bit :o

I don't think you would be a pre-school. Many sessional playgroups changed their name to a pre-school to clarify the point that they are an educational setting.Pre-schools have been encouraged to extend their hours from 2.5 hours.They often have breakfast/ after school club on the premises. If you are providing full day care I would think a day nursery would give prospective parents a good description. I would think of a nursery school to be only open for 38 weeks a year. I don't think it matters legally what you call yourself.

I don't think there are restrictions on what you decide to call yourself as such, but people will probably make a guess at the kind of services you offer based on your name. Thinking about the way my brain works, if you call yourself a nursery I'd assume you're full daycare, all year round, whereas I'd think a nursery school would have a qualified teacher at the helm, as kathyscitt suggests. I would assume a pre-school group would offer sessional, term time only care.

My group is a 'pre-school nursery' which sends very mixed messages I think, so I'm seriously considering dropping the 'nursery' bit.

You could of course get round this by not having any kind of descriptive name at all - Little Learners or whatever.

You will let us know what you decide on, won't you?

Maz

For insurance purposes, pre-school pay less than nurseries due to the lenght of hours. It does not matter whether you call yourselves Day nursery or Pre-school, but for insurance you need to tell them the hours to determine what your premuim would be.

Toro

Edited by TORO

I agree with most other posters here. School implies someone with QTS to me, day care sounds like it says. Just a thought however: if we who work in early years can't come up with a definitive list of names, how do we expect parents to understand the differences? I think spelling it out would be a really good idea.

You will be offering full day care all year round so you need to register as a full day care establishment - however what you call yourself if irrelevant - what ages are you hoping to get in? Nursery and pre-school would be fine although I personally think a nursery name reflects younger children and babies while pre-school seems to suggest slightly older children. If you target audience is set at an age range then I think you need to think what you call it so that the name is what it suggest.

NIkki

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)