Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Presentaion For Deputy Manager Role

Hello Folks

I have got home today and have received an invite to an interview on monday. Part of the interview is to give a presentation on

" In what ways do you think in a children centre may differ from a day nursery and what implications does this have for the childcare Managers/ deputies work?

I can put in the day care and creches part but not sure on the children centre ideas. I am going to research the role but though somebody would share there idea

Presentations are my biggest fears so should I use power point , props or just talk...... Help....

Blue

children centre involves amongst many things multi agency working with the numerous partners within the centre managing creche and day-care working variety of parents from differing backgrounds and circumstances, another big issue with cc is ensuring childcare is sustainable but that fees are affordable for parents. to be honest a powerpoint can be interesting but some of the best presentations i have seen r the ones that are made from passion conviction and knowledge so the main thing is to practice and know what u want to say. Good luck

I know the term 'hard to reach' is often used, but beware. The better emphasis is to talk about why a Children's Centre can be hard to reach for families i.e. it is not the family who need to change but the Centre that needs to review its approach and become accessible for all. :o

Not too sure if I am too late for this but it seems a bit of a strange question to me - a children's centre should offer affordable day care only if it is ia 30% full core offer CC.

I am assuming that you the position is for a full day care centre within a children's centre or one that is attached to it. It may be that the admissions criteria is slightly different in that you would want to admit families who are on working tax credit as your first criteria, this is of course dependent on the local authorities admission guidelines. Lots of issues around this too and how you will manage joining up services if you are running from a school. It might be that social services might want to refer in children for one reason or another and this might also be high on the admissions criteria. It may mean that children who have additional needs might attend and therefore you will need to liaise with other members of the multi-agency team and report back to them on the child's progress making recommendations for a CAF (if they do not already have one) and then it might be that you become the lead professional bridging the gap between the family and other services ensuring that the child's needs are met e.g. speech and language or ed psych. input. A children's centre is not a full day care centre, it may offer full day care as part of their remit but the children's centre services are quite different - the CC works with families and children together offering programmes and services and activities such as stay and play, parenting programmes, healthy eating programmes etc. Most of these are provided for non-working parents. The full day care is designed for working parents on low incomes who are most likely to be at the higher threshold of WTC. However, in reality this will have to be supported by parents who are working higher earners and not able to take advantage of WTC. I suppose a CC full day care provision is not there to make a profit but to offer a service to these parents. Therefore there are considerable financial constraints especially if you are working as a local authority and not as a private provider - higher salaries but lower fee income.

The other consideration is what impact will you make on the children coming through the full day care within the centre = quality is an issue too and how will you ensure that the start you give these children improve their foundation stage profile points and how might you monitor that?

Not too sure if this helps - good luck

Nikki

I know the term 'hard to reach' is often used, but beware. The better emphasis is to talk about why a Children's Centre can be hard to reach for families i.e. it is not the family who need to change but the Centre that needs to review its approach and become accessible for all. :o

Every now and again you read something that rings a real bell and jumps out of the page at you ..... I have to say that your stance on a children's centre can be hard to reach for families summed up what we really mean really succinctly - the term "hard to reach parent" doesn't rest well with me - it means nothing but actually changing the emphasis makes it real. I have used your saying today on several occasions and will continue to do so - makes much more sense and is a reality. So thank you for your wise words

Nikki

Thank you, it's good to know I occasionally come up with some slight snippets of wisdom (but am really just passing on what I have picked up from others). It has I suppose become a bit of a hobby horse of mine.

Gruffalo2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)