Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rigby Star Guided Reading

Hi,

my school has some money - though not a lot to spend on guided reading books from reception to year 2. We have had rigby star mentioned to us, but I am unsure as to which levels the books are - much as I would like to buy them all I really can't.

Also if anyone has any better ideas for schemes that would also be a great help

Thanks

Hi,

I wish we had some money to spend on books as ours are awful! I'm only in my 2nd year of teaching so not the most experienced to advise but my teaching practise school had the ORT songbird books which are written by Julia Donaldson and they were excellent because they really followed the letters and sounds phonics so children could read book at the right level. Not sure what they like past reception though.

x

In my previous school we used sunshine books, these came with a laminated card that had a lesson plan on one side and a worksheet on the other. I used the worksheet for homework to support the reading session.

I've used the Pelican guided reading books with Y1+ the activities to support the reading books are differentiated, they cost £45 a set. Each set covers about half a terms guided reading, the TAs loved them and there are non-fiction books aswell as fiction.

I currently use an old ORT scheme in YR that I bought cheaply on ebay as there wasn't anything suitable in school and no money to buy anything either. The children find them really engaging and like the continuity of the characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I looooooove the Rigby Star Guided Reading! I used it in Yr & Y1 and it's fantastic! Each pack of 6 books comes with a teachers book which has a 'script' for you to use with the children and the books and has objectives linked to the Book band levels (plus these are aligned to NC levels which is helpful for APP tooo - it was so useful for me and esp. my TA and you had minimum prep work to do. My current school has a mix of texts for Guided Reading and unless you are familiar with them already you have to spends ages finding the right text to support the objective you want to cover.

Rigby Star have also brought out some pirate and knight themed reading books which the boys in my class love - not sure if they are are in the Guided Reading packs yet though.

• 1 month later...
I looooooove the Rigby Star Guided Reading! I used it in Yr & Y1 and it's fantastic! Each pack of 6 books comes with a teachers book which has a 'script' for you to use with the children and the books and has objectives linked to the Book band levels (plus these are aligned to NC levels which is helpful for APP tooo - it was so useful for me and esp. my TA and you had minimum prep work to do. My current school has a mix of texts for Guided Reading and unless you are familiar with them already you have to spends ages finding the right text to support the objective you want to cover.

Rigby Star have also brought out some pirate and knight themed reading books which the boys in my class love - not sure if they are are in the Guided Reading packs yet though.

Can anyone explain the ribgy stars, rockets and stars system? I have been told that the rockets are guided reading books and the stars are closely linked to these and go home as independent readers. So once you do a guided read in school, you then send the related star book home which has similar vocabulary in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)