Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fairies, Elves And Gnomes

Hello, i was wondering if anybody can offer some help. We are doing the topic of fairies, knomes and elves after half term. We have some ideas such as a local walk looking for knomes, Fairy chimes, Fairy garden, clay mushrooms, writing to fai :o ries, tooth fairy, fairy cakes. Fairy Trails etc. Does anybody have any other ideas we can use? xD

Sounds like you are going to be very busy - not much to add to your amazing list. Did you consider making "fake fairy photographs" to show the children. We did this last summer one of our fairy obsessed little girls, it was great. Are you getting some garden gnomes - I find them a little freaky - but I understand their appeal.

Tinkerbell would be proud of you!

We bought a little fairy door and attached it to the skirting board in nursery.

The fairies live behind it but sometimes we find a trail of fairy dust (glitter) that leads us to places or things....... maybe to a letter maybe to a toy or an area in the nursery.

We also wrote letters to the fairy because she left one for us!!

What fun! I love the Fairy Bridge on the Isle of Man where we always say Hello to the Fairies or the 'Little Folk'. There are wonderful tales associated with them and such fun to do. Children write letters to the fairies and hang them from the trees.

Part of your topic is recognising what is fact, not fantasy, which it is important for young children to understand as a stage in their development.

I love the flower fairies - what about a matching trees/flowers in your local area to the right flower fairy.

Making peg flower fairies - dolly pegs, pipe cleaners, lots of petals to make flower fairy skirts

"Part of your topic is recognising what is fact, not fantasy" - are you saying you don't believe in fairies JacquieL :o

Hi - ELC do fairy figures which would be good for sn world play - build fairy/elf homes from twigs,leaves/moss indoors or out(include furniture!) or make clay toadstools and decorate - cake decorating supplies (shops or online) sell wonderful edible glitters ,maybe fairy jelly or biscuits? - face painting - Role Play: bands with pointed ears, lengths of fabric (net is really cheap) bands of wide elastic with small bells sewn on to wear on wrists or ankles, magic wands, crowns, wings, fluffy beards(hook over ears on loops of elastic) big wellingtons with gold buckles - Hide elven gold in the sand tray or outdoors, or get the children to hide it for each other (I painted pebbbles gold and used it for Pirate treasure) and make treasure maps with them - I'm useless on classical music but there must be hods of fairy type stuff out there and I remember a piece called The Hall of the Mountain King which I think as more about trolls but might do? - Make 'potions' outside using water, petals, soil leaves, etc and talk bout the smells, esp if you can put in some lavender or rosemary or similar. Can't think of anything else off top of head but hope helps.:)

PS LOVE idea of fairy door and glitter trails - just fabulous!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)