Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Permission Form For Observing Children

Hi

I am staring my foundation degree with the OU with great trepidation - at the moment it seems a huge mountain to climb!!

For the first part it seems that we have to gather a great deal of evidence from our workplace. Even though we will render these anonymous, are we required to have written permission from the parents to make these available to the OU (if asked for)? Or does the standard permission to observe and record learning journeys cover this?

I wondered what others have done in this situation in the past.

Is there anyone else studying this with the Open University in Gloucestershire?

There are loads of old 'OU' hands on here - I'm sure they'll be along soon with advice.

However I would say that unless your general permissions form explicitly states that observations may be used by employees in their assignments for training courses, I would get explicit permission from the parent/carer of each child concerned.

Maz

I'm not sure what the 'official' line would be but I would say that

while our general permission for observations would suffice, it would be polite to ask parents for permission for this purpose. Not least because I think parents should know what you are doing and be able to support, and cheer you on!

Plus, when I did my DPP, I gave the parents the opportunities to see the obs I'd done on their children (although they were anonymous) and they really liked that opportunity.

Not sure if that is helpful....

But good luck anyway - what course I you starting with? I'm just finishing ED209 and start E100 at beg. October.

:oxD

When I started my OU study I wrote a letter explaining to parents what I was doing and provided a pro forma for their completion. I clearly explained about observations, photographs and using children for research and how I would use the information, where it would be stored, who would see it etc etc

With each new intake I ensured parents received a copy. Every single parent signed the form and were quite 'chuffed' that I might 'use' their child!

Good luck with your study :o

Hi

I am staring my foundation degree with the OU with great trepidation - at the moment it seems a huge mountain to climb!!

For the first part it seems that we have to gather a great deal of evidence from our workplace. Even though we will render these anonymous, are we required to have written permission from the parents to make these available to the OU (if asked for)? Or does the standard permission to observe and record learning journeys cover this?

I wondered what others have done in this situation in the past.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)