Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Pre School Support

Hi,

Recently found this site and think it is fab and has given me a lot of useful ideas. I am from Bedford and run a small pre school with 33 children aged 2 1/2 - 5yrs. Unfortunately I have not found much help and support so I have started up a 'Pre School Group'. We share ideas, resources, advice, contacts and have also just come up with the idea of toy trials. As we all know new equipment can be costly, and you never know if it will stimulate young minds or be left in a boring pile. So different pre schools share what equipment works for them and is most useful to the ELG for planning and observation but above all most fun for the children.

We meet up once a term for a couple of hours chat and have tea and biscuits. It is nice to have someone to talk to who works in the same environment, rather than been given advice from people who haven't worked with children for years.

net xx

Hi net,

sounds like a really good idea and would certainly stop everyone from making expensive mistakes if you get to try something out first. Hope you'll enjoy sharing with us on the forum too. :D

Hi net

Welcome to the forum and thanks for making your first post.

I own a pre-school and am also treasurer fro Stockport Pre-school Providers (SPP). We are a group of pre-schools who, like you, meet once a term to discuss current issues, exchange ideas and share equipment. We have been lucky for the past few years to have been given £2000 a year by our EYDCP for networking. So all the costs for meetings, a newsletter and the equipment we share comes out of that. Unfortunately this year will be the last we will receive as our EYDCP has disbanded but we have built up quite a good amount of resources. We charge a nominal fee for groups to join, which will keep us going in the future.

SPP is also a member of Playgroup Network which is a nationwide group supporting groups like yours and ours around the country.

Hope to hear more from you

Linda

Well i had 2 pone calls today one from inclusion officer and one from development worker saying they wanted to come out to our setting to do yearly support chat!!!... blimey never had that before..... :oxD:(:(

Our development worker visits about twice a year for a chat and update, as she is also our mentor for our accreditation that has also meant 2 additional visits for staff meetings this year.

we alo have 3 meetings a year which are cluster meetings for all groups in the area who cater for the foundation stage, this means that reception teachers, pre-schools, nurseries etc meet to discuss and exchange ideas and have any updates needed.

Inge

I have yet to have a visit from our development worker which actually doesn't bother me that much as she is out of school club trained so I probably know more than she does about running a pre-school!! :o

We have cluster group meetings termly which are usually quite good. Some pre-school and day nursery workers don't like going to them because they feel the teachers in the schools look down on them. I personally have not had any problems like that and get on very well with the other settings in my area. I find the meetings useful.

Linda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)