Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where Do I Stand

Hi

today we had a mother that explained to us that she has had a really bad time over the weekend and that she threw her husband out. He has moved out but in the same town. She has expressed a wish that the father does not pick the child up at all and we should not let him with him, this is not a child protection issue its a parent separation. Im just wondering where do we stand on this. Can anyone help please.

This is a tricky one for your setting, if dad has parental responsibility (if they are married/he is birth father/or through a court order) then you cannot refuse to let him take his daughter. The only time you can refuse collection is if there are court orders in place under child protection or family law etc.

The best you can do is explain to mum, that you will phone her if he does turn up, and delay him until she gets there/or inform him that mum has been contacted.

Hope this helps, im sure there are lots of other people on her who will know much more!

This is a tricky one for your setting, if dad has parental responsibility (if they are married/he is birth father/or through a court order) then you cannot refuse to let him take his daughter. The only time you can refuse collection is if there are court orders in place under child protection or family law etc.

The best you can do is explain to mum, that you will phone her if he does turn up, and delay him until she gets there/or inform him that mum has been contacted.

Hope this helps, im sure there are lots of other people on her who will know much more!

Thanks, this was just as i thought, i was just beginning so go through my college info for confirmation, you have saved me some time. Cheers

Just want to confirm that hfn is right. We do exactly the same and explain we could nopt refuse to let the father take the child, but would 'stall' him and phone Mum to tell her. Come to think of it, it can work the other way too - we have to tell the father we would have to let Mum take child etc.....

Gruffalo2

i would also saqy if social services ot the locals LSCB board requested that a parent does not pick up the child then you would need to adhere to there requests as they have an over riding power when it comes to child protection at risk issues

I would say that if a 'really bad time' involved violence or threats of it, then surely it is a child protection issue? I think you need to ask her whether police or social services were involved, then speak to your early years advisor for clarification of your position. She might also wish to take out an injunction if it was serious.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)