Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration - Ideas?

Hi everyone , can I pick someones brains ?

We have a sign in /out register for parents but I want to implement a self registration board/method/activity for the children to do in addition to the parents one and wondered if anyone had a great one already working.

i am thinking along the lines of something with their name on they have to find and place on a picture , shape, whatever to show that they can select their own names .

I am getting bogged down with thinking of something where they all have the same shape ( we used to red apples on a tree but need a new idea ) as I feel if we do for eg. fish under the sea they will all be different coloured fish and they wont learn name recognition as they will locate their name by finding their colour of fish !

Has anyone got any bright ideas ???

Thanks ,hopefully Lizzy

Hello,

we have recenlty implemented self registration with our preschool children. We have 8 staff, all who have a group of key children. Each group has an animal name. We have a large counter and on the front of it, there is a laminated picture velcro(ed)?! on of each animal group. Then each member of staff has a medium sized laminated white piece of paper with each childs name written on, aslo with velcro. In the mornings when the children arrive and go into their animal groups they find their names and put them up under their group picture.

As we do sessional care, if their key person is not in, the child sits with the same second key person each time, and their group picture is put up under the second key persons as well as their name. ( does this make sense?!)

we have been doing it for two weeks now, and it is workinf really well!

Another idea we thought about was to have the childrens names laminated and out on a table as they arrived, they would then have to find their names and there would be a board for them to stick it onto.

I think for us the process has worked well because, we have already used a similar method, and still do.. where each child has a picture card with their name underneath that they selct each morning and put next to a peg for the session. They have been used to seeing their picture and name card and choosing their peg. therefore being responsible and having a special thing for themselves, now they are beginnning to have a sense of belonging and community through putting there name up as part of a group.

hi think i mentioned before somewhere on here - we have a large fish shape with velcro on it. the children have a name card which is a circle shape on shiny card (laminated) the back is also velcroed. the cards are put on a table and the children find their nasme as they enter they then stick it onto the fish shape which turns it into "rainbow fish" - this works really well for us

Hi

We have small, laminated names - blue for boys and red for girls and purple for adults. (Could be different colours, or all the same, but that's how we do it). They are placed on a tray every session and the children learn to recognise the shape of their name, pick it out and stick it onto a board (velcro). We have no pictures or other visual clues.

We also have peg names, again with no pictures other than the shape of the child's name. They very quickly identify their own peg and name labels. If the younger ones have difficulty, then older or more confident ones help them out. It has always worked for us and I often find children forming interesting patterns using the cards on the board, such as all the boys' names in a row, or stack and all the girls names - giving lots of opportunities for early counting and comparisons.

Hope this helps.

Lesley

not wanting to sound negative but.. just a few thoughts...

1. if you have a regular intake you need a system where you can easily add new children's names (and remember to do it!)

2. our parent's hating doing this with their children and constantly complained about it... mind you we are a pre-school and they all arrive at the same time.

3. I read an article recently which suggested having a double sided peg card - one side with photo and name and the other side with just written name. It claimed it was important for children to have a visual clue to match with their written name , in this case it could be turned over as the child got to recognise their name.

I would love to resurrect this because it is great to watch the children begin to recognise their name.

Might have to bite the bullet and ignore my own points 1 and 2 above. :o

We are a reception class, we do red handprints during first few days (our uniform is red), add a small photograph and larger name before laminating. Handprints are found each morning - their first task, and velcroed to a board to produce 3 lines of 10. We count them regularly to see if hands correspond to number of children, count how many are absent, work out how many are there, and later use it to count in 10's ( remember we are reception), works quite nicely.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)