Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Trained Or Not?

Totally agree should be one rule for all - and frankly, if they are happy to leave achild in that kind of state or distress then they are maybe in the wrong job!! My bottom line, (no pun intended!) is what would I do if this was my child? Usually clarifies things.

My bottom line, (no pun intended!) is what would I do if this was my child? Usually clarifies things.

Thats the rule I've always worked to too. How would I want my child treated? Cant really go wrong then can you?

What do you do when a child does not want you to change them (FS2) and unfortunately is not able to clean themselves sufficiently and probably needs shower or bath?

What do you do when a child does not want you to change them (FS2) and unfortunately is not able to clean themselves sufficiently and probably needs shower or bath?

Is this a regular occurrence for a particular child or just a hypothetical question based on one past experience?

To me the disposal of bodily fluid from the 'rear' end should be managed the same as disposal of bodily fluid from the 'upper' end. In other words, if a child vomits, we clear it straight away, we show empathy to the child and would not ever consider leaving the child covered in vomit until parent arrived to deal with it.

I agree that it is the settings responsibility to meet ALL the needs of ALL the children in an 'inclusive' manner, and as well as performing care jobs this also means with an inclusive 'attitude' towards all children too.

This is not just about a physical development issue, staff should always also consider the emotional needs of a child, all our actions give children a message of how we feel about them, and these messages are very sublime but easily picked up by the child.

In a setting such as a school or other environment where there are lack of human or environmental resources the child will feel 'to be a nuisance'.

If health and safety is quoted as a reason not for meeting the childs needs, then risk assessments should be done to include not just the nappy wearer but all the children present, then the result of the risk assessment should be taken up with management and/or head teacher or governors who have a LEGAL responsibility to meet ALL the care and developmental needs of ALL their children. The resources MUST be provided by the setting.

So, I would sugest that every time an adult needs to change a nappy or change soiled clothes, show the kindness and consideration you would if the child had just vomited.

From the poem, Children Learn what they Live......If children live with kindness and consideration, they learn respect. In other words to not provide not just physical means but also the right attitude towards children in nappies this would be, in fact, being disrespectful to the child.

If enough staff consistently took their grievances on this matter to the management, heads, governors and in the interests of the child and the class as a whole, (who is paramount in law) and insist that resources must be provided then maybe they will listen. Put the argument to the resource providers in law, and challenge each time they expect you to work below the standards that the law affords our children.

Peggy

Just wanted to put a different perspective on this story, especially to all those working in schools.

One of my employees (a day nursery), has a son who will start school next September. He suffers with a condition that means he does not have the feeling in his bowl that allows him to know when he needs to go to the toilet nor can he push out anything. This means that he has to be changed and does soil himself on a regular basis.

After speaking to our area SENCO she has provided me with a folder that should be in all schools which states that children should not be excluded from school and gives various conditions including his.

My employee is frantic with worry that all the 'good' schools that she wants him to go to won't accept him and he will be forced to go to one which she is unhappy with and basically because they tend to be a mop up school.

I do feel for the mother, but also feel for the teachers. However, as a Pre-School practitoner myself, both me and my practitioners have to take time out from their teaching the children to change him, and unfortunately I think this is something that Teaching Assistants have to face as more and more children come into schools either not potty trained properly, or with a special need. All staff who work in schools including lunchtime supervisors etc., will and should have to change a child if they are soiled. To not do so is neglect.

If people want to work with children you have to take the good with the sometimes more unpleasant tasks......

I agree that the child's need are paramount and the school or setting should make sure that each child's needs are met. I think the problem in schools is an historical one, as these problems have not been so great in the past, so there is resistance to change. It can be a big problem in a Reception class, especially where toilets are not in the classroom, there is no area for changing and there is no-one around to help the teacher. The situation needs addressing not ignoring.

The answer is to plan for this situation, perhaps have a TA who is sent for when needed. Not a popular solution but needs must. In school nurseries the 'problem' arose when children were taken in at three years old instead of three and a half, so were more likely still to need support with training. I do have to say that over the 30 years I have been working in Early Years there has been an increase of children arriving in nappies, and there are all sort of different reasons for that, however, working with children who still need help with toileting is part of care for the child. Schools need to address this through training and job descriptions for all staff.

There are a lot of issues around insisting parents come in to change children, I'm not sure, but think that could be discriminatory practice. Imagine how we would feel having to leave work every day to go and change your child?

I am also a little puzzled by nsunshines experience of a newbuild setting saying there could be no changing area for health and safety reasons. I would have thought the reverse was the case. I have recently been into three CC's, including two which are very new, and they have lovely toilet and nappy changing areas in their pre-schools, as well as for the under threes. It is about providing the right facilities and the correct procedures surely?

• 1 month later...

I am all for the idealistic answers about meeting each and every child's needs, and I don't think anyone on the site would want to neglect the needs of any child, but a lot of these replies are coming from people who haven't experienced real difficulties when changing children. I am a teacher at a 26 place nursery that take children from 3 onwards. As I am a teacher we have 2 staff (myself and my assistant) to 26 children. We work in a deprived area and more and more of the children are coming to the nursery with no nappy but nowhere near dry. We spend a lot of time changing children, which we don't mind doing (and yes we try to meet the needs of every child) but is this really fair on the other 25 children who are left 1:25?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)