Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Using Beans In Nursery

after using dried beans as a mix in the builders tray for 3 years, someone has told me we shouldn't do it because beans are poisonous if eaten raw- does anyone else out there use them ? or does anyone know which beans, if any aren't poisonous?

Did you get the free PE kit from Haven Holidays? It had foam bricks in it and when we looked this week someone had taken a huge bite out of one of them! Fortunately we found the bit..... but it shows they will try and eat anything. I guess it depends how old your children are, but we take them from 2 and they are still very much in the 'put it in your mouth' phase, particularly the lower functioning ones....

Is it worth the risk?!

not to mention foriegn (spl?) bodies placed up noses and in ears, however, I used to use lentils, rice, bird seed, dog biscuits etc etc with no adverse effects during 20+ yrs of preschool practice, so maybe risk assess for individual children within your setting.

Peggy

Did you get the free PE kit from Haven Holidays? It had foam bricks in it and when we looked this week someone had taken a huge bite out of one of them! Fortunately we found the bit..... but it shows they will try and eat anything. I guess it depends how old your children are, but we take them from 2 and they are still very much in the 'put it in your mouth' phase, particularly the lower functioning ones....

Is it worth the risk?!

Hi

lol we had the same, we now use our bricks in science expos on floating/sinking then we can keep an eye on this its not worth the risk!!!

kezo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)