Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Paying For Aspects Of Treasurer Role

This is a little bit complicated so please bear with me.

Our treasurer is about to stand down (her daughter has moved on to school). We were hoping that someone else would step into the breach, but she is now saying that her work situation means she can't help us. She has said that she could possibly take on aspects of the role if we were able to pay her (this would be technical stuff such as preparing accounts).

Does anyone know if this is okay? We are in theory on the PSLA constitution although we haven't adopted the new one yet. I'm a little bit uncomfy about paying someone who is closely linked to the pre-school to do this stuff, as it might mean that in future people feel it's unfair to ask them to do the role for nothing (and also those who have done it in the past).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, what on earth do I do (I'm chair) if we can't pay her and no one else steps forward? I'm certainly not qualified to do it myself and anyway I am the wage earner in my household and simply don't have the time. If we don't have someone does that mean we have to close?

we paid a book keeper who did the accounts, wages, fees, end of year tax return etc. and worked very closely with the treasurer who did the day to day money invoices and banking etc. She was never on the committee and was not involved in any decision making about the setting.

ours was self employed so invoiced us once a month for the hours but only charged a minimum amount, with an agreed maximum per month , some were less than others depending on time of year. I would work out how she is to be paid.. bearing in mind Tax etc. to try to ensure it is declared income and not just 'cash in hand'.

I wonder why she can take it on if paid, but not if unpaid... perhaps if it is to become a paid post it needs to be advertised ? or could be to allow others a chance of applying or doing the job paid.

Think if you go this route she would need to be seen as an employee

thinking aloud a bit here so may seem a bit disjointed.. but may give food for thought.

Inge

We too have paid an accountant in the past for the wages and accounts side of things. As a charity we paid a nominal sum. I too would be a little worried about a parent who would be paid and as Inge says why can she do it paid but not unpaid. I think it might be a good idea to work out a minimum and maximum amount you would be able to pay and advertise the role as paid (more widely than the pre-school). This way it is open to others too and someone less connected might apply. The other alternative would be to approach a few local payroll/accountancy firms and ask them for a quote for the work involved, which is how we did it. Cry poverty and make big mentions of your charitable status if you are one. We found with them doing the wages and end of year accounts we could manage to issue fee letters, collect and bank monies and manage petty cash quite easily.

If you have adopted the lastest PLA constitution I believe it was changed to accommodate this situation. Look on the website. Then just call an EOM, say 5 minutes before the start of the session, no need to call some grand meeting, just say to parents that you want to adopt the new constitution, take a vote, bobs your uncle. Anyone who disagrees can be treasurer!

Have you thought of employing an administrator?

PSLA constitution was changed to allow paid members of staff t become committee memebrs, however as far as I am aware (and I odnt have the stuff to hand) they cannot be an officer, i,e chair, sec, treasurer. You have to have a Treasurer, we pay an ex parent to do our bookeeping, wages, tax etc. All our T does now is bank the money and pay bills sometimes. She also attends meetings and makes decisions. I think (agan not def) if you really cannot get a Treasurer, after exhausting all avenues, then you would go to PSLA and/or CC. Sorry not much help to you. I am sure thatover the last couple of years, with this year in particular, if we hadn't had a bookeeper in place then we would never have got a Treasurer.

If you have no other person doing financial stuff then treasurer is a huge role and perhaps too much to ask of a volunteer. The compromise as suggested with some services being undertaken by an acountant seems the best option. It also is safe as more people will be aware of the money flow through the pre school. No business would ask a volunteer to run the whole financial side.

In answer to the question, she has her own business which I believe is struggling and consequently she can't take on extra unpaid work.

Thanks for all the advice, it is very helpful.

I think we do need to pay for this stuff - think I will suggest that we get an administrator who does this and other paperwork.

Guest colechin

We pay £10 a month for someone to do the wages, tax, P45 and any maternity issues. We also have a treasurer who then pays bills and our wages in to our accounts.

I as Manager issue invoices, pay cheques and cash into the bank, set up the budget, type up the wage slips, apply for the funding grant and they may be a few more things but can not remember at the moment.

What I would like is the treasurer to do the parents invoices but because I have done them for the past 4years, she was a little put out when I asked if she could take this on. I am hoping that when she comes round to see me on friday evening to look at the budget I have set that I can pass this on to her.

Could you please confirm that the invoices should be done by the treasurer. I know the budget should be, with help from me (the manager).

This is a little bit complicated so please bear with me.

Our treasurer is about to stand down (her daughter has moved on to school). We were hoping that someone else would step into the breach, but she is now saying that her work situation means she can't help us. She has said that she could possibly take on aspects of the role if we were able to pay her (this would be technical stuff such as preparing accounts).

Does anyone know if this is okay? We are in theory on the PSLA constitution although we haven't adopted the new one yet. I'm a little bit uncomfy about paying someone who is closely linked to the pre-school to do this stuff, as it might mean that in future people feel it's unfair to ask them to do the role for nothing (and also those who have done it in the past).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Also, what on earth do I do (I'm chair) if we can't pay her and no one else steps forward? I'm certainly not qualified to do it myself and anyway I am the wage earner in my household and simply don't have the time. If we don't have someone does that mean we have to close?

are you a registered charity, if you are you are there should be some info regarding this on thier website - or give them a call. we had a similar situation and i do remember that it was not as easy as just paying the treasurer.

if you are concidering paying someone, then you need to ensure you do not involve the current treasurer in the decision-and you should advertise and interview and pick the best person for the job.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)