Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Keeping Records

I know it's been asked before but I keep coming up with different answers. What documents do I need to keep in preschool and for how long? Is there a definitive list somewhere? We have just lost a lot of storage space and need to prune something.

thanks

Al

I know it's been asked before but I keep coming up with different answers. What documents do I need to keep in preschool and for how long? Is there a definitive list somewhere? We have just lost a lot of storage space and need to prune something.

thanks

Al

Hi whitetree

It says 'somewhere' in EYFS stuff to keep documents 3 years. I take this to mean registration forms, accident books, incident book , registers,copies of Nuresry Ed grant forms- anything that might be refered back to if there were a query -

but someone else might be able to add more to this.

I'll try to find the wording in the document at work tomorrow if I've time, but I don' think it specifies which documents to keep

Hope that's some help for now

Carmen

I believe you need to keep accident records and medication records for 21 years as a child has the right to make a claim on their own behalf for x number of years after they turn 18. The list we have is attached (I hope!) but I can't for the life of me remember where it came from - I just err on the side of caution.

Policy_appendix_1.pdf

Although the EYFS does say 3 years, there are other reasons for keeping some documents for longer. As holly says, anything to do with accidents, incidents or medication are particularly important. Everybody has a right to make a claim against someone else, providing that you do so within 3 years of the incident occurring. Obviously with children the consequences of a particular incident may not be apparent until much later in life, so they are given 3 years after their 18th birthday to proceed - hence the 21 years.

I was on a First Aid course at the weekend and the trainer related something that had happened to her. She was a midwife many years ago and whilst on duty visiting a house she had call to help out at a particular incident. 14 years later she was contacted by the police investigating this particular child who had developed physical problems. At the time she has written up a full report which was kept by the health authority. This was handed over to the police who were perfectly happy that she has dealt with it correctly at the time.

I've been looking at this just lately only to find that someone over the years has had a major clear out of playgroup paperwork. At least the cupboard isnt overflowing now but i do hope no-one checks!!

This is just madness isn't it? I can't believe that we would have to keep records for over 15 years, just on the off chance that someone might sue. Surely there's more of a fire risk involved if we do keep so much paper!?

We had a discussion with our EYAT recently during which she said SEN records should be kept for 21 years and only copies sent on. Has anyone else been told this? It puzzles me because surely those documents follow the child through school, and her service have copies of everything anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this discussion I have been asked this on a questionnaire sent by Ofsted (ready for an spi) how would you answer it?

Just quote 3 years as in EYFS welfare requirements or 21 years as now seems the standard??

Also to all of you who have gone through SPI's would how in depth would you reply as the question just says how long should records be kept?

do you list everything you keep or just the children's records?

Thanks in advance

I believe you need to keep accident records and medication records for 21 years as a child has the right to make a claim on their own behalf for x number of years after they turn 18. The list we have is attached (I hope!) but I can't for the life of me remember where it came from - I just err on the side of caution.

Thanks Holly35, I've found this listing link below (I hope!)

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/childcare.nsf...-to-be-kept.pdf

thanks

Al

Hi

i have taken over and started a new preschool the last owner didn't shred anything and just put it all in the bin. When i knew of this my advisor told me to make sure i keep everything for at least 21 years, after this get written confirmation you can dispose and at least your covered. It's a mine field out there.

Kezo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)