Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Children And Yoga

Yes and yes...I have done a whole research project on it...RYE - Research in Yoga..I use the Yoga Pretzel cards that you can get from Amazon to help guide the children.....it is so beneficial for the children.....I woudl always recommend this for settling an over-excited group.....learning to breathe correctly and having relaxation times make such a difference to a session........I could go on and on about it......if you look on the RYE website it is really good and also Yogabuds......do it you and the children will love it....although I do a adult directed session, we very often do a spontaneious session and sometimes I see the children doing poses in the garden... :oxD

I use the cards on a board and the children choose what poses we will practice...also there are many relaxation CDs on Amazon too......good luck it is brilliant

Edited by Guest

Hi Shirel,

Was having a look at the RYE website and it looked interesting. http://www.ryeuk.org/

Can't seem to find the Yogabuds one though...

Anyway, any idea what's the age group for the techniques taught by RYE, and how long it takes to complete their training? It says 6-days over a 6 month period, but hopefully it won't take that long?

Thanks!

Regards

Mark

http://earlychildcare.wordpress.com/

Yes and yes...I have done a whole research project on it...RYE - Research in Yoga..I use the Yoga Pretzel cards that you can get from Amazon to help guide the children.....it is so beneficial for the children.....I woudl always recommend this for settling an over-excited group.....learning to breathe correctly and having relaxation times make such a difference to a session........I could go on and on about it......if you look on the RYE website it is really good and also Yogabuds......do it you and the children will love it....although I do a adult directed session, we very often do a spontaneious session and sometimes I see the children doing poses in the garden... :oxD

I use the cards on a board and the children choose what poses we will practice...also there are many relaxation CDs on Amazon too......good luck it is brilliant

We were fortunate enough to have some spare money last year and paid for a local yogabugs teacher to come in one morning a week for a session. The children really enjoyed it and some of them reacted in very different ways than we expected - well don't they always!

The lady in the know for RYE in this country is Rachael Buchanan - she taught me and was also my lecturer at University...she is amazing! The training is expensive though!

Thank you Shirel - I can tell you are passionate about it! I'm wondering about incorporating it into my baby and toddler group. I shall have a look at RYE now!

We had Yoga bugs in at our school and they did a workshop for each class from Reception to Year 6. Met the needs of all the classes and the staff! Also worked with them at a Playscheme And they were great with the younger children - we did the Yogabugs Olympics - it was great. Would recommend them!

Two of our staff members have recently done 'Tatty Bumpkin' training which, as far as I can remember, is a yoga-based music, movement and story telling activity. This has proved to be very popular with the nursery children.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been thinking about a research project for my PGCE course, and wondered what people thought about looking at exploring feelings through children's yoga?

Any thoughts?

:o

Welcome to the forum KittySparkle - hope this is the first post of many!

Can't really offer any thoughts on your dissertation, but I'm sure those who understand what yoga is all about and the role it can play in exploring feelings will be full of ideas and support!

Maz

I think its a great idea.....emotional well being is directly linked to physical well being and balance in the body and mind. To build empathy and a sense of self both sides of the brain need to work in harmony. Connecting emotional responses with physical awareness and ability go hand in hand in my opinion.

Maybe have a little search at all the research, to check to see how much supporting information there is....RYE (research in Yoga in Education) is fabulous.....Micheline Flak introduced yoga into education in France years ago and this has filtered through slowly about the benefits for overall development for children.

I also done research into the effect of Yoga in early years education - I could send you mine to look at if you like?

let me know. :oxD

yoga_for_children_journal_research.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

i have become very interested in yoga as a lot of my children are very hyper active so doing a few simple breathing and stretching excerises really has been useful, in a week the children were able to learn a routine and i could watch them using it through the day as they played. brilliant!!

i have thought of incorporating the brain gym method eg, using both sides of the brain to help with learning and behaviour, any ideas would be great :oxD

been looking for courses but most seem to be very far away from Norfolk?????

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)