Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Development Matters Overview

Hi everyone

I am looking for a docment which I know is on here somewhere but cannot find it - can anyone point me in the right direction. Have looked in resources.

I am looking for a 6 page document entitled 'EYFS DEVELOPMENT MATTERS OVERIEW' showing each area and the photo icons down the left hand side.

Many thanks

I think you might be referring to a set of documents by Janine called something like development matters grids. There was a set of age group ones and a set of 6 areas ones I think.

Al

Many thanks for your reply Whitetree. I have just had a look at Janine's following your suggestion - unfortunately these are not the ones I am looking for but thank you anyway.

The document I am looking for is in landscape format, one page per each of the 6 areas (6 pages in all) showing all the development matters per area on one sheet from birth to the early learning goal, with a photo icon from the EYFS running down the left hand side.

Deb, thanks for bringing up this topic again! I get so fed up with slogging through the Practice Guidance every time I need to cross reference an observation and the overview is really helpful. I have today added the page references to the 2nd edition of the guidance (published last may) in case anyone would find it helpful. It's good for us as we cross-reference the obs to the guidance as additional evidence.

Hope someone finds it helpful and a big thank you to whoever laboriously typed it all out in the first place - good job!!!

quick_eyfs_dev_matters_overview_with_page_no__s.doc

It's great isn't it LJW! We are going to use this to map individual children's development against the EYFS and planning next steps to go in each child's learning journeys.

We were talking about cross referencing yesterday at our staff planning meeting.

Would you mind explaining to me exactly how you cross reference the observations to the EYFS, how specific are you? Do you cross reference to several of the learning and development areas or the key area from that observation? Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense! It depends on the actual ob. Most of ours are spontaneous and as you say, cover more than one learning area. If that area has already been achieved 3 times, (consolidated learning) then I wouldn't probably record it again but earmark it for extension/further planning. The post-it obs are all plopped on one page for the 1/2 term in the child's learning journey. We then cross ref and tick our overview form which is glued to the back of the book. (This is great for identifying holes in learning too). We then, as keyworker, pick up through good knowledge of our key children, which of all the post-its are the most significant and use them to inform further planning for the learning journey using the Shropshire Learning Story form.

Let me know if you want me to post these again (summary and Shrop form) as they have already been posted in previous threads.... It works well for us!

Makes perfect sense! It depends on the actual ob. Most of ours are spontaneous and as you say, cover more than one learning area. If that area has already been achieved 3 times, (consolidated learning) then I wouldn't probably record it again but earmark it for extension/further planning. The post-it obs are all plopped on one page for the 1/2 term in the child's learning journey. We then cross ref and tick our overview form which is glued to the back of the book. (This is great for identifying holes in learning too). We then, as keyworker, pick up through good knowledge of our key children, which of all the post-its are the most significant and use them to inform further planning for the learning journey using the Shropshire Learning Story form.

Let me know if you want me to post these again (summary and Shrop form) as they have already been posted in previous threads.... It works well for us!

Yes please LJW, I am on the look out for a summary format. Thanks.

Thank you for your explanation, very reassuring, this is what we are doing. I just want to make sure we are putting enough information that is useful without making it a chore or an unnessarily lengthy task. So, minimising time spent on paperwork whilst tracking children's progress.

When you say cross ref this overview sheet, what would you write? How much information do you put, do you tick, date or link to other area in some way?

Thank you again.

Here's the learning journey summary. Our cross-referencing is as you say, a date and a tick both on the form and the obs, nothing more!

thanks that has saved me a job.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)