Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Snack Time

• 1 month later...

Well ladies, you have certainly given me something to think about. We have always had snack time as a group. But my PDW has said I need to have a cafe style snack time for the accreditaion process we are going through at the moment. I must admit I was very anti cafe style until I read all the above posts. We have 1/3 pint cartons and I love the idea of small name cards attached to each carton so they can come back and finish it later on if they wish to. Do you all have a picture as well as the name. We are very limited with pictures. How does this work with the snacks? Do they have to eat the biscuit/fruit/breadstick etc when they first sit down or can it be "saved" for later and if so how? What happends when it is hot, do you worry about the drinks/milk warming up? I like the idea of putting the fruit in a bowl of water to stop it browning, how do you limit it? just say only 3 pieces each. Our children love it when we have fruit and will eat everything that is put in front of them.

How would you suggest I start this off. I hope to start on the Monday back. Must admit I have a couple of staff members who are not too keen on the idea at all.

As I said the posts made me think quite carefully about it, thanks.

Gizzy :D:D

Dear All,

This discussion has gone a long way and it has made interesting reading as one of the areas for development in my accreditation is "snack time" obviosuly a hot potato with accreditation inspectors. Currently the children sit together after tidy up time with either water or their 1/3 pt carton. They love drdinking their milk from these (names tags over each straw) as it is slightly novel. I can tell how much they have drunk. But I am going to have to look at all your comments to see how I can review this - not too sure what I will do. I like the system we use but can see some of the benefits of a cafe style too. What about alternating the system? Would that be too confusing for the children?

Nikki

The other area for development was the siting of my book "corner" - she felt it was too dark. It is no darker than any other "corner" of the room and generally the hall is very light. I put my case forward that the reason for the books being in that particular corner was that the large heavy book case was stored in the cupboard next to it and I think I would contavene Health and Safety if I asked people to carry it any further than necessary - she suggested a light - so off to IKEA with the staff (making it a staff outing with swedish meatballs and a glass of wine to celebrate our accreditiation) to see if we can find anything that will shed light and also not contravene our Health and Safety!!

Nikki

hi,everybody.

I have to join in this discussion. This was problem in my setting for ages, but we sorted it out. First we had system where each adult take his own group in certain area and they all sat down at the table. We had snack- helpers every day and all children have to be helpers, always choose different children. Helpers will put plastic cups and plates a front each child. Children help themselves with two peaces of fruit and we sang our Please and thank you song before we start to eat. During snack time is lots off opportunities to talk to children and is very calm atmosphere. In the end children put plate and coup into the basket and we all together load the dish washer. I must say that I personally liked this system because of interaction you can have with children.

Than our supervisor changed and new one insisted on cafe system. We had a small room whet we adapted to a snack room and it looked lovely. Walls were covered with pictures of different types of fruit, food, drinks (from calendars) . There is two member of staff supervising, but children do it everything themselves again. Staff record who had snack and children who didn't they are encouraged to go in the snack room.

It was confusions in beginning but children soon loved this new system. It seems that some of them can't wait for snack. I was skeptic in beginning but I am definitely now for cafe system. It does give children more Independence.

Peggy, I love your story about Saturday in town. Have to share it with my colleagues

I loved the Saturday town story too and am also going to show it to my members of staff.

Brankica, what is your please and thankyou song, always on the lookout for new and different songs.

Gizzy

Wow! what a lot to think about. Our Ofsted inspector was very happy with our snacktime (although she declined our offer of toast because they aren't allowed to take food 'bribes' apparently!).

We all sit together for snack, and have a three week rota. Each child gets the chance to dish up cartons, cups, plates etc, but then adults serve the food. Children pour their own water, butter their own toast and help clear away the table afterwards.

I love the idea of a snack bar - we always have a table with jugs of fresh drinking water and plastic cups for the children to pour themselves a drink when they're thirsty - and most of them know to put their cups away when they've been used so that other children won't come along and drink out of someone else's.

I also love the idea of putting their pictures on their cartons so that milk needn't be wasted - we could use the same kinds of laminated pictures we already use for self-registration/cloakroom pegs etc, or we could put their photos on them!

Thanks everyone: you've given me lots of ideas. Oh how my colleagues will be pleased with me...

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)