Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Can Someone Look Over My Plans?!

Right, have been having a play, bearing in mind I don't start until September and have very little idea how the planning meeting will go that is my first day!! I have a meeting with the preschool team in the morning to plan then the reception teacher in the afternoon presumably to tie all the planning together (we are a FSU partnership)

I was given a Medium Term planning sheet with a 2 year rolling plan (which says to me Long term plan not medium, but still.....) and the topics Ourselves, then family, senses and hands and feet underneath. There is also then the topic of Autumn.

I have tried to put something together so that I have an agenda as it were when I start, and have a vague idea what I am talking about lol. It lacks nitty gritty ideas as it were, but I figured those should come from the planning meeting and from the people who know what they have done before, what resources they have etc, but does it look ok so far?!!

MTPlan_Ourselves.doc

I am pre-school not maintained sector as I think you are, but looking at your plan I like it as you seem to have stuck with the topics/themes approach the school seem to want you to follow but actually, from the plan it offers lots of child interest led work. So although it says "Ourselves" at the top, the actual content says a lot of "see where the children's interests lie" which seems a very diplomatic way to start in a setting which uses topics/themes and yet embrace working from the children's interests. It is quite similar to the way we work when the children don't seem to offer anything to plan around. Hope I have interpreted it right, and if so I think it looks good.

That all looks good to me. Seems a good starting point to add to, once you've met everyone, and once the children have given their ideas.

I really like it!

I especially like how you've put the learning and development principles after the other three - this places equal importance on the environment, relationships and the unique child rather than people immediately focusing on the development matters statements. I think it gives a powerful message that without the first three being in place, the fourth can't happen.

The colour coding will hopefully enable practitioners to make links between your planning paperwork and the EYFS documentation.

How will individual practitioners use this medium term plan to plan in response to individual children's learning and development needs, and will it be backed up with a weekly/daily plan which shows where the resources are to be used and how staff will be deployed? Do you have continuous provision planning to cover every area of the setting?

I think your medium term plan shows clearly what kinds of experiences your children will have, and should be a great starting point for staff to understand what's expected but also to spark off their own ideas for their key children.

Let us know how things go!

Maz

phew thanks both,

Holly, you have read it exactly as I wanted it read, but wasn't sure if I was coming across 'right'. I have never had anyone look at my plans before as a childminder, so want to come across as articulate and knowlegable as possible if that makes sense!!

Clare x

I have never had anyone look at my plans before as a childminder, so want to come across as articulate and knowlegable as possible if that makes sense!!

Well you most certainly are articulate and knowledgeable and I think your plans will help in gently but surely moving practitioners on!

Maz

Thanks Maz, I cannot take credit for the actual layout, it was adapted from something LucyEvans the childminder shared on a childminding forum. Have played around with lots of formats but I love the one she came up with!

Yep I have continuouos provison plans printed and ready to go, as I think they don't have these, am thinking of giving each keyworker an area to work on, looking at the plans, sourcing the resources, making a wish list and keeping it maintained.

Then weekly/daily plans I have a few ideas, but want to see what they are used to working with, am going to try to get hold of formats they have used before and are used to working with and see what comes from the planning meeting.

I then want to make sure that we have an observed interests sheet up weekly for keyworkers to jot down things to inform weekly/daily planning, and also make sure the keyworkers have an individual learning plan within each childs profile, pulling together the observations (ie J is confident on a one to one. Next steps encourage involvement in small group activities) as when I was a parent I didn't see much evidence of this, just lots of observations, which were great but didn't really show what they were doing with them. Again, they may do something that I didn't see, so want to wait until I start to make sure.

Clare x

Again, they may do something that I didn't see, so want to wait until I start to make sure.

Sounds like a very sensible way to go Clare - you don't want to go in all guns blazing and upset the staff before you begin!

Maz

Love the way you've laid this out. We have struggled all year to get a workable planning format and this shows all the links to EYFS very clearly. Can I adapt this for our group please! :o

We have decided to go back to general themes as we have found the variety of attendance patterns and all staff being parttime made follow interests as only basis not practical. (Sessional preschool)

korkycat

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, following on from my MT plan, I have been having a play again, this time with a daily/weekly plan, I want it to be as reflective as possible, and really look like a working document, I invisage lots of scribbles all over it by the end of the week, and hope it will be useful for me in planning for the next week.

Does it look user friendly, as I am actually mainly going to be based in the first term in the F2 building with the F2 preschool children each morning (we are 2 seperate buildings at the moment) in order to establish a working relationship with the Reception staff and school. I will only be in F1 2 afternoon sessions a week, a tues and thurs, so by a thursday afternoon I should be able to reflect on what has worked well for the week to inform my planning for the following week?? (which I intend to do on a thursday night ready to be viewed and shared with staff on a friday??!! Does this sound workable??

It is based very much on how they operated last year when I observed in the summer term so no big changes to their actual practice, except more focus on continous provision.

Anyway, here it is.....

dailyplansandrecord.doc

Had a very quick look at your short term plan and I liked it. Lots of space to note things down to follow up and repeat. I might pinch a few ideas if you don't mind if I ever get round to finishing my paperwork this summer.

Right, have been having a play, bearing in mind I don't start until September and have very little idea how the planning meeting will go that is my first day!! I have a meeting with the preschool team in the morning to plan then the reception teacher in the afternoon presumably to tie all the planning together (we are a FSU partnership)

I was given a Medium Term planning sheet with a 2 year rolling plan (which says to me Long term plan not medium, but still.....) and the topics Ourselves, then family, senses and hands and feet underneath. There is also then the topic of Autumn.

I have tried to put something together so that I have an agenda as it were when I start, and have a vague idea what I am talking about lol. It lacks nitty gritty ideas as it were, but I figured those should come from the planning meeting and from the people who know what they have done before, what resources they have etc, but does it look ok so far?!!

I am a pre school manager and a qualified teacher, I think these plans look spot on and really concise with all the links in place, I was very impressed I hope you get the support from your team. :o

I also think both the med term plan and the daily plan looks excellent.

Well done and thanks, have downloaded and will adapt for my use.

Jane xx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)