Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

National Standards

Has anyone got a copy at home? I want to check something about handwashing and numbers of loos

Do you mean the EYFS welfare requirements? If so, yes I have a copy on my laptop.

Maz

Do you mean the EYFS welfare requirements? If so, yes I have a copy on my laptop.

Maz

Thats it can you see what it says about hand washing and does it say 1 loo per 10 over 2s

Ta Anna

Thats it can you see what it says about hand washing and does it say 1 loo per 10 over 2s

Page 36 of the Statutory Framework says:-

There should be at least one toilet and one hand basin for every ten children over the age of two. Except in childminding settings, there should normally be separate toilet facilities for adults.

Will keep looking for info regarding hand washing!

Maz

There should be at least one toilet and one hand basin for every ten children over the age of two. Except in childminding settings, there should normally be separate toilet facilities for adults.

That's the only reference I can find to hand washing!

Maz

That's the only reference I can find to hand washing!

Maz

ok just heard from a parent that it was illegal to have soap in the loos and that we can only have liquid soap. We do usually but our dispenser is broken and I am waiting for a new one and wanted to know if I have to rush out tomorrow for pump soap till the new one arrives. I was right about the loos the same mum said you had to have one per 8- Mothers that work in the sector!!

ok just heard from a parent that it was illegal to have soap in the loos and that we can only have liquid soap.

Well I don't think its illegal exactly, but it is considered good practice to have liquid soap and paper towels rather than bar soap!

I'll go and have another look more specifically for 'soap'!

Maz

I'll go and have another look more specifically for 'soap'!

Nothing!

I do remember when doing our ECERs training that we had a big debate about the use of liquid soap and bar soap for handwashing, and our trainer being incredulous that the use of bowls of water for hand washing wasn't specifically banned for hygiene reasons under the EYFS welfare requirements.

Our LA said they always advise settings to use liquid soap and paper towels to minimise the risk of cross-infection, and that Mrs Ofsted takes a dim view of bar soap being used.

But other than that, I can't see anywhere in the documentation that specifically says liquid soap must be used.

Maz

Thanks for that Maz- I think I might risk it for a couple of days!

I think its all about being able to justify yourself to MrsO if she turns up - but then you've just been done haven't you?

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)