Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Inspiration! And Good Practice!

hi all,

i am a nursery manager for a 56 place nursery, and have been doing the role for just under two years. i would be interested in hearing any success stories or ideas/initiatives that any body has put in place that we could use at my nursery whether its to do with staff, children, activties, parents or room changes. i feel its great to share ideas as it keeps you going!

one idea we use and works really well is:

covering the table in each area with bright backing paper and covering it with photos or topic related pictures so the children can see what could be played in that area, ofsted also really commented that they liked the 'evidence'.

a simple one that has worked so well is simply to stop using sugar paper as it quickly becomes dull and faded and use this bright paper and card pack from a to z it is around the same price but lasts ages. i challenge anyone that uses sugar paper to try it, it has really changed the brightness of our displays and nursery in general!

i look forward to hearing from you. Laura x

What a lovely idea, Laura----your thread and the ideas that you have shared.

On a similar vein to your covered tables, I used small posters on tables in my maths area and art area and covered them with clear plastic.

I love the idea of using photos in this way I will try this within my setting, I hope you both don't mind.

Within my setting we make up Photo books of the children, I.e. A is for Alison, 1,2, 3, children and Alison, Alison what do you see.

I agree that sugar paper fades, we no longer use bright colours for our boards as we follow the advice from communication friendly spaces which suggests natural and nutral (spelling??) colours so we use off white paper with no borders and this makes the display itself which is mostly the chidlren sticking up their own work stand out more.

Using you photo idea might work for us like our continuous provision maybe they could be linked, I think I will use your idea as well thanks for sharing

We have have a 'tidy up' board. A board with velcro strips, we stick photographs of resources out that day (some are just photos of the storage untis they are housed in) beside these pics we put passport sized photos of each child. Works brilliantly, stops the same children choosing the same tidying up (or not!) and the children love it. It can provoke great discussions amongst them as to what they are tyding up that day. although we generaly tend to leave the little ones doing the same thing all week. Ofsted loved it when they were in. Of course they are still 'encouraged' to tidy as the go along/finish with activities.

Edited by lynned55